Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PIC guidance needed

AlenZGB

Feb 19, 2014
I want to star programming PIC microcontrollers.
Any guidance what programmator to buy or not to buy,
which PIC should i use as a begginer in this area?

:rolleyes: :cool:

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
What language do you intend to use, C, Basic, or Assembly?

John

AlenZGB

Feb 19, 2014
For now the easiest one :D
Because its my first one

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
I suggest you read about the three languages I mentioned, or at least compare C with Assembly. Many people come to PIC controllers already competent in C, and they continue to use that language. Microchip is designing its newer PIC's to be "optimized" for C. And clearly, C has become the dominant language.

When I started with PIC's I had no experience with C, and my experience with Basic was more than 25 years in the past. So, I started with Assembly on a simple 12F5xx chip. There are lots of tutorials for PIC Assembly (MPASM). I still enjoy Assembly. The reason I would suggest a simple, baseline chip like that to start, assuming you are using Assembly, is that you don't have to worry about about turning off analog inputs and various peripherals that one has to do with mid-range, enhanced mid-range, and higher chips.

Here's a discussion of Microchip's 8-bit chips: http://www.microchip.com/pagehandler/en-us/family/8bit/

John

AlenZGB

Feb 19, 2014
I suggest you read about the three languages I mentioned, or at least compare C with Assembly. Many people come to PIC controllers already competent in C, and they continue to use that language. Microchip is designing its newer PIC's to be "optimized" for C. And clearly, C has become the dominant language.

When I started with PIC's I had no experience with C, and my experience with Basic was more than 25 years in the past. So, I started with Assembly on a simple 12F5xx chip. There are lots of tutorials for PIC Assembly (MPASM). I still enjoy Assembly. The reason I would suggest a simple, baseline chip like that to start, assuming you are using Assembly, is that you don't have to worry about about turning off analog inputs and various peripherals that one has to do with mid-range, enhanced mid-range, and higher chips.

Here's a discussion of Microchip's 8-bit chips: http://www.microchip.com/pagehandler/en-us/family/8bit/

John

Thanks for advice.
i `programmed` Microchip 93c46/56/66B i think, they are very common in car key coding.
Thats not complex as this programming is but, its some kind of star i think.

Anyways ill google C and Assembly and ill let you know, i probably will have few question.

nges

Feb 21, 2014
personnally i use the microC pro for pic to program pics. it also very easy to use and also has alot of already made libraries that you draw inspiration from.
There is a trial version that you can use to program up to about 2k of words.
its really fun to also try this one. You can download this at http://microcontrollershop.com/product_info.php?products_id=5045

AlenZGB

Feb 19, 2014

John

thanks for tips, i googled alittle around, and i think ill start with C language programming.
and decided to try with 12F508, i order programmer JDM for few bucks, hope it will work :D

personnally i use the microC pro for pic to program pics. it also very easy to use and also has alot of already made libraries that you draw inspiration from.
There is a trial version that you can use to program up to about 2k of words.
its really fun to also try this one. You can download this at http://microcontrollershop.com/product_info.php?products_id=5045

I downloaded the program. looks good.
thanks.

Im on study with this tutorial,
watching all the parts of tutorial. Any other tutorial suggestion is welcomed.

AlenZGB

Feb 19, 2014
Any ways to program motor to stop when cross on obstacle,drawing more amps or something ?

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
Any ways to program motor to stop when cross on obstacle,drawing more amps or something ?

You can put a current sense resistor (small value, usually <1 ohm) in the motor supply circuit and monitor the voltage across it. Not sure how your motor is hooked up or how you are controlling it. If you post a schematic, we can be more specific.

John

AlenZGB

Feb 19, 2014
You can put a current sense resistor (small value, usually <1 ohm) in the motor supply circuit and monitor the voltage across it. Not sure how your motor is hooked up or how you are controlling it. If you post a schematic, we can be more specific.

John

Thanks, so far i dont have any schematic. Gathering info and waiting for PIC programmer to
arrive. Its kinda build in progress :D

AlenZGB

Feb 19, 2014
I got my PIC programmer, K150 and when i use the software it wont work,
it said The board is not responding,
I install drivers for it.

Any help with this?

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
Are you using ICSP mode? Do you have that setting selected and power to the board (if needed)?

John

AlenZGB

Feb 19, 2014
When i go into ISCP mode it said Please select a processor and i can only press ok.
and nothing happens
I downloaded new drivers for that and still nothing
i mean same thing

AlenZGB

Feb 19, 2014
Cant figure out where to do that,
guess google is my friend :/

AlenZGB

Feb 19, 2014
didnt think that microkontroller is called processor :/

but still nothing,crap.
guess ill have to sleep on this one, maybe ill be smarter tomorrow

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
I' d be happy to program it for you, if you are a simple post away. I use an ICD3 from Microchip. Which processor are your using?

John