Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PIC, PICAXE

screwball

Jan 9, 2012
Hello, After thinking of projects i can do in spare time i was thinking a play again on PICs would be cool,

What PIC stuff should i get (Chips, software, download board/programming board etc)

I currently have circuit wizard simulation software but it doesnt support simulation of the PIC chips, what other software (preferably free) could i use

Thanks, Gary

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
There are really 3 routes to get started with PICs, and which is best for you would depend on where you are coming from and where you intend to go.

1. Get a cheap development board with programmer built in use it in your actual application. This is the most expensive route in the long run, but you are only going to make 1 project it is probably the easiest and not all that expensive.

2. Get a PICAXE chip and tools. These chips are pre-programmed with a loader that works off a serial port and a basic-like programming language. Startup cost is very low, but you will pay more for each chip than method 3. It also limits you to a few chips that PICAXE resells.

3. Buy a PIC programmer like PICKIT 2 $35), possibly a demo board (which can be had
for another $15) and eventually buy your PIC chips in the raw. This makes it possible for you to eventaully use any PIC chip, at the lowest possible cost in the longrun. If you are planning on making even 5 or 10 PIC projects in the next few years, this would be the cheapest route.

Bob

screwball

Jan 9, 2012
There are really 3 routes to get started with PICs, and which is best for you would depend on where you are coming from and where you intend to go.

1. Get a cheap development board with programmer built in use it in your actual application. This is the most expensive route in the long run, but you are only going to make 1 project it is probably the easiest and not all that expensive.

2. Get a PICAXE chip and tools. These chips are pre-programmed with a loader that works off a serial port and a basic-like programming language. Startup cost is very low, but you will pay more for each chip than method 3. It also limits you to a few chips that PICAXE resells.

3. Buy a PIC programmer like PICKIT 2 $35), possibly a demo board (which can be had
for another $15) and eventually buy your PIC chips in the raw. This makes it possible for you to eventaully use any PIC chip, at the lowest possible cost in the longrun. If you are planning on making even 5 or 10 PIC projects in the next few years, this would be the cheapest route.

Bob

thanks very much for reply, much help
I'm looking at staying in electronics engineering field for like as a career and hobby so id imagine option 3 is the best route

what kit would you recommend me to get for £35 odd, id like to be able to program the chip on program board then put chip on actual pcb for use

thanks

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
The link does not work, so I cannot comment on that.

But, personally, I would buy a PICKit 2 from Microchip. I have been using one for about 5 years without any problems. I prefer to program in circuit rather than moving chips in and out of sockets. You can do this, even on a breadboard, with the PICkit 2.

Bob

screwball

Jan 9, 2012
Thanks, just ordered MICROCHIP PICkit 2, cant wait to have a play on it :D

God knows what circuits i could make using it that could be put to use?