Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PICaxe Vs PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
And PIC BASIC Pro costs what, about $50? That's about $50 more than the PICaxe environment.

No it cost anywhere from $50 to $270, but it's an Apple to Oranges comparison... Comparing them on cost alone is really putting on blinders, as they are no where near functionally equivalent... You can try PBP for free for 15 days, if you just wan to give it a spin... And that is just one compiler option, there are several other options of varying cost...

If you have read what I said previous you are simply stating what I have in regards to cost, I have never argued that the entry level cost wasn't in favor of the PicAxe... I have argued that the 'ease' of use and/or learning curve between the two options isn't as horribly swayed from left to right as some might like to believe or suggest... And that focusing on the PicAxe exclusively as if it's the new sliced bread, really limits your options...

If you are only going to do one or two things here and there, the PicAxe and Arduino are certainly cheap entry level options, but neither has a real long term and productive outlook beyond small hobby usage...

As I previously stated one should really look at their end goal, if they want to be limited and short term with low cost entry yeah the PicAxe is a good alternative... But, if you want to actually grow and expand long term it's simply not the best choice...

You can't honestly suggest I compare free software that supports 7 PIC chips to professional level software that supports over 500 PIC chips? Yes of course there is an investment is different, as there is a huge difference it what the software is capable of doing, long and short run...

I think better stated the PicAxe like the Arduino gives you a tidy bundled package focused on a limited chip set and designed specifically for the beginner with limited options to you can basically only go down one road and not have to make decisions or choice calls, just like the BasicStamp did many years ago...

For the average hobbies who has the space, doesn't need to stick to specific designs limitations the PicAxe certainly has it's place, but as I keep saying you really should consider your end game and long term goal before committing...

If you want to argue initial investment there is simply no argument and I have never suggested there was...

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I think we're in furious agreement.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I spend a lot of time on the Microchip forums, and I can tell you that having 500 PICs, multiple languages and tools, multiple programmers is great for the experienced but intimidating and confusing to the beginners.

For someone who is going to do 1 project per year or so, quantity one, having all that flexibilty is not of very much value. I have not used PICAXE, but after looking into it, I was very impressed with what they have done to make things simple enough for people who would probably never get started trying to use other tools.

Bob

Last edited:

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
I spend a lot of time on the Microchip forums, and I can tell you that having 500 PICs, multiple languages and tools, multiple programmers is great for the experienced but intimidating and confusing to the beginners.

For someone who is going to do 1 project per year or so, quantity one, having all that flexibilty is not of very much value. I have not used PICAXE, but after looking into it, I was very impressed with what they have done to make things simple enough for people who would probably never get started trying to use other tools.

Bob

I think Bob really boiled the water down here. In fact, it escapes me why there's even a debate. There is zero investment in Picaxe, less the cost of a chip. Everyone has spare serial cables, so there's no investment there either. For those without serial ports; just about everyone has a USB/Serial converter. Any of them will work as long as they support 'Break' mode. I have six of them and only my old Belkin (FSU409) doesn't support it.

In short, I see no purpose in steering a noob, who's already struggling with electronics, to anything other than a Picaxe. Since their investment is zero and the language (as cocacola states) is very similar to PicBasic, what's the point? :confused: They can move up to Pics anytime they want to, with nothing lost. In fact, they'd have 90% of PicBasic mastered already.

Chris

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
but intimidating and confusing to the beginners.

I won't argue that but I honestly I don't place much real value in it... The same could be said for a simple subject like LED current limiting, easily 1000s upon 1000s of intimidated and confused newbies to be found on 1000s of different sites... There are always going to be those that want to learn and will devote the time and energy, no reason not to give them the options pros/cons instead of just sending them down the easy road with proclamations that are not true...

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
In fact, it escapes me why there's even a debate.

There was never been a debate about investment and cost... Go back and read the first two quotes I replied to in this thread, if you want to bring it back to the original topic that was in debate...

If you're going that rout say so now so I don't waste my time. I can tell you with absolute certainty that anything not Picaxe is going to be a h*ll of a harder road to travel.

All the PICs I've seen used C or Assembly, which is no where near as easy to master.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
There was never been a debate about investment and cost... Go back and read the first two quotes I replied to in this thread, if you want to bring it back to the original topic that was in debate...

Ugh!! This is turning into debating for the sake of debating. :rolleyes:

Keep an eye open for my future posts. I will probably repeat those quotes, without reservation. I'm a conservative. I don't waffle. :D

Chris

JeffBobb

Aug 20, 2022
Seems like an old thread, but I'll add my 2 cents: I wrote my first computer program at San Fernando Valley State College (now CSUN), in 1968, at the ripe old age of 9. I've programmed PICs, Basic Stamps, AVRs. I've used PicBASIC, PicBASIC PRO, Proton, MikroBASIC, Swordfish, PBASIC, Mikro C, PIC C, and CCS C. I have no language preference, and I say use whatever language you're comfortable with, and gets the job done! Everything else is just bloviating. If your compiler is worth anything, it'll compile tight and optimized, and unless you're pressed for speed, it makes little difference. Besides, if it's speed you need, you should be programming in assembly, not a compiled, high-level language.

Status
Not open for further replies.