Maker Pro
Maker Pro

picking analog stick

Aubrey Champagne

May 8, 2016
so i am creating a little tank like vehicle and for the remote i need a 2d analog stick for the control of my left and right wheels and i am quite the beginner and i have no idea what analog sticks i should use.

Edit: also is there any phone app that I could program to work for this project?

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi there Aubrey
welcome to EP :

so i am creating a little tank like vehicle and for the remote i need an analog stick for the control of my left and right wheels and i am quite the beginner and i have no idea what analog sticks i should use.

Edit: also is there any phone app that I could program to work for this project?

visit a RC model shop, they are likely to have a selection of types

phone app's ... no idea, maybe some one else does

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
so i am creating a little tank like vehicle and for the remote i need a 2d analog stick for the control of my left and right wheels and i am quite the beginner and i have no idea what analog sticks i should use.

I assume you have the rest of the components figured out?
If you visit a hobby shop as dave recommended, you can get a remote with a joystick or two... or even a little steering wheel already attached. You simply by a matching receiver and wire into your tank.
The receiver can be connected to a servo (also available at hobby shop) or to your own electronics (as long as they are programmed/built to interpret PWM)

Otherwise.. if you want to do it all by yourself you may have a heck of a time. In any case, do not buy the 'fake' joysticks... commonly used in old arcades... it's simply a stick connected to four buttons that detect the four cardinal directions... if you are steering, you want an analogue joystick which will most certainly be included in the radio transmitters from the hobby store.