Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Pioneer DDJ SR - identify components

Mobieus_uk

Jun 3, 2023
hello all, first time post, trying to fix my sons mixing deck, pulled it apart replaced some led's last year but theres another fault with the circuit that detects when you touch the jogger wheel, theres clearly some damage to some of the componets

the damage seesm to be around C517 and D501, R504 is a resister and reading as expected 20k, this is the right hand board so compared everything against the left hand board, found the capacitor to be much slower and D501 seems to be dead, took a picture of the good side as well
not all of the part numbers apprear in the service manual so does anyone have any idea about the diode and the capacitor, the schematics gives a little more information but im not a electronics engineer so it really means nothing to me so any help on d501 and c517 would be greatly appreciated - seems to be a common fuaut but no information on suitable replacment components - even if it turns out to be the IC thats the easiest bit to identify replace its just the other 2 bits im struggling with, hope ive given enough info for someone that you understands these circuits

Attachments

• Defective smd.JPG
    Defective smd.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230602_141944.jpg
    IMG_20230602_141944.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230603_121107.jpg
    IMG_20230603_121107.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Schematic.JPG
    Schematic.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
around C517
Supply decoupling capacitor. Difficult to measure unless using dedicated metering device.
D501 seems to be dead
Dead in what way? Shorted? Open?
seems to be a common fuaut
According to who? Anyone reporting a 'common' fault is likely to offer a reason as to why.

Looks like corrosion to me - need a closer look to make a proper determination.
fault with the circuit that detects when you touch the jogger wheel,
How does the fault manifest itself and what makes you so sure the area you're looking at is related to the detection of the jogger movement? If you have full schematics please show them.

Mobieus_uk

Jun 3, 2023
thankyou for taking the time to look, the fault is when you touch the jogger wheel it done not detect the touch, the wheel itself works fine but there is a mode that when the song is playing you cant scratch the music, dunno what the term is im not as DJ, there are 2 jogger wheel with identical circuits i simply cleared away the corrosion and just compared voltages and resitance across against the working side, that is the section of the schematic that relates to the jogger wheel touch bit, ill attache the service manual
its common according to the internet but normally relating to a bad earth, this is not the case and was going to attempt to repair the board for pennies as a new board is over £300, no sense in spending that for what maybe a easy fix - on the schematics its board F and G, some of the part numbers are listed in the component section and some are not

Attachments

• Board.JPG
    Board.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 4

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
on the schematics
..which is too small to read.

If it is simply corrosion then unless the corroded part has been totally lost then clewaning it should restore operation. Either way, you can simply replace the corroded parts 1 for 1 and the schematic will identify their values.

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

It looks like a circuit based on a PIC chip:
pioneer ddj touch schematic.png
It looks like a sort of oscillator that is influenced bu a touch plate.

Bertus

Mobieus_uk

Jun 3, 2023
..which is too small to read.

If it is simply corrosion then unless the corroded part has been totally lost then clewaning it should restore operation. Either way, you can simply replace the corroded parts 1 for 1 and the schematic will identify their values.
and thats where im stuck, R504 is easy, 20k resistor the other information D501 is just listed as EDZ CT E6.1B which means nothing to me and C517 just says 1/16 which also means nothing to me, ive tried to capture a bit more of the schematic, service manual is to large to upload

Attachments

• abitmore.JPG
    abitmore.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 1

Mobieus_uk

Jun 3, 2023
Hello,

It looks like a circuit based on a PIC chip:
View attachment 59338
It looks like a sort of oscillator that is influenced bu a touch plate.

Bertus
yes, when the song is playing you can touch the jogger and its kind of goes into scratch mode - jogger works fine when in the other mode its just this touch circuit that had a load of muck around it and dont look that great

Mobieus_uk

Jun 3, 2023
Managed to spit up the service manual if that helps

Attachments

• pioneer_ddj-sr_dj_controller_sm.part1.rar
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • pioneer_ddj-sr_dj_controller_sm.part2.rar
  • pioneer_ddj-sr_dj_controller_sm.part3.rar
  • pioneer_ddj-sr_dj_controller_sm.part4.rar
    2.6 MB · Views: 0

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
C517 is 1uF 16V (non-polarised).

@bertus suggests the circuit to be oscillator-based and I would concur - it seems as if physically touching the plate causes the oscillator to change frequency which is detected and acted upon. This is, of course, software-based so we ca't do anything with that side (the PIC). The zeners will be less than 3.3V given they are tied to that rail.

Mobieus_uk

Jun 3, 2023
C517 is 1uF 16V (non-polarised).

@bertus suggests the circuit to be oscillator-based and I would concur - it seems as if physically touching the plate causes the oscillator to change frequency which is detected and acted upon. This is, of course, software-based so we ca't do anything with that side (the PIC). The zeners will be less than 3.3V given they are tied to that rail.