Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Pioneer SR60 Reverb not working properly

mikehende

Dec 22, 2006
I have a bud who might be able to do the soldering if he should have the time for this but what would be required of me to do the Series Resistance test of the capacitors please?

I can check for the hairline cracks.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
You would require an ESR meter. They can be found cheap, but generally not (£50-£200) and upwards.
If you check for cracked/dry solder joints, your friend could certainly re-flow the solder areas.
Bad solder joints can also cause similar faults with expansion and contracting.

This ebay page will give an idea. Avoid the VERY cheap.

Martin

mikehende

Dec 22, 2006
For a one time use I would need to get the cheapest good thing I can find I am thinking? Also I am surprised that you did not recommend getting a regular Multimeter, is it because the ESR would work better for this purpose?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
To be quite honest with you, I assumed you had a multimeter. Perhaps I should have asked.
If the fault was different, I would have suggested checking continuity or voltages with a multimeter.
I have several ESR meters. The cheap ones can be useless if they work at all.
Give us some feedback on the solder joints.

Martin

mikehende

Dec 22, 2006

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I do see a point of concern in your first photo. Bottom left near the corner. Looks like a bad solder joint.
But I couldn't get the picture to zoom in again afterwards.
I think we have exhausted the visual checks and the unit will require more in depth checks.
But don't give up, try cleaning the switches again to verify that you did indeed clean them.

Martin

mikehende

Dec 22, 2006
If it's this section you mean, can you pinpoint with an arrow maybe exactly which joint please? TBH, I don't see that spraying them again will make a difference as I had used a lot of spraying and pressing those switches in and out many times. So this means I will need to have to purchase both an ESR and MM to get this job done and as mentioned I can get a good working used unit for around $75 so that should be the better option.

However, on the other hand, I have a Crown Macrotech 3600 Amp working on one channel and a DBX EQ also working only on one channel so I am thinking if having both those tools alone would fix those 2 pieces too then Mayne should be worthwhile?

Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 9.26.55 AM.png

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
pcbEP.gif

Attachments

• pcbEP.gif
    pcbEP.gif
    116.7 KB · Views: 4

mikehende

Dec 22, 2006
Well guys, update is I cleaned outside of the unit today and took pics to put it up for sale as needing repair. I connected it to the Receiver to take a pic of the display to show that it does work [intermittently] and as of this writing it's been working fine going on more than one hour now.

I have stopped and restarted it a few times during the process with no issues. Will keep running it all day long for the rest of this week to know for sure.

mikehende

Dec 22, 2006
Well, update is the Reverb signal is still going strong and not cutting off or hampering the bass but since day one the display cuts off every whenever, it seems to always come on whenever I now power on the equipment but at some point will stop working.

Any idea on fixing the display itself please?

PETERDECO

Dec 19, 2019
Try to determine if it is mechanically intermittent by gently tapping parts on the circuit with the handle of a screwdriver. If not, get a can of freeze spray and spray individual parts to cool them. If the display comes on, you just found the perpetrator.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Yes, that product will work, but if you have a can of compressed air cleaner, it will also work if used inverted.
Now, you have already proved that the unit had either dirty contacts or a loose connection. Taking the cover off and cleaning the switches and generally touching the unit has fixed one issue. I believe the screen issue is also a loose/bad connection.
Try the freezer and poking around with an insulated item. I use an old drum stick or wooden chop stick.

Martin

mikehende

Dec 22, 2006
Today I turned it on and same deal as originally sighhhhhh. So I'm not going to bother anymore, I will put it up for sale as is and take whatever I can get and put that towards a good working unit. Sorry for all the hassles but you guys have been GREAT, thank you very much, till next time, many blessings!

mikehende

Dec 22, 2006
I own one of these.
Spray-out the potentiometer while exercising it.
As Martaine2005 advised, the selector switch contacts are probably the problem with your unit.

Can I trouble you to compare my setup to yours please?

Actually guys, at this point I am not sure if anything at all is wrong with this unit. Yesterday I tested again and noticed than when playing through FM no issues. I am wondering if the verb needs to have a strong signal in order for the display to show all the time?

FM gives almost double the output than my pc so this is making me wonder. On my DJ set I run my pc through the SR303 reverb then back to line In on my mixer with no issues. With this SR9, I connect it's IN and OUT to the TAPE Monitor on the Kenwood Receiver, any thoughts please?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
You have an SR-9, which is different from mine. As Martaine2005 said, it sounds to me like your display has an issue. If it's intermittent, I'd suspect a bad connection and would reflow the solder contacts to it.
As for the set-up, I'm unclear as to how you're using it. I run my reverb through my receiver/amplifier, connecting the preamp section to the amplifier. On my receiver there are RCA jacks specifically for this purpose.
If you're connecting the reverb some other way, I will mention that mine has an internal circuit interrupt to protect itself. And if I hooked the reverb up incorrectly, the reverb cuts-out. My reverb is designed to detail a preamp signal, not act as an amplifier in and of itself.
How are you inserting the reverb into your set-up?

mikehende

Dec 22, 2006
Oh when you said you "own one of these" I was thinking you have the SR9 too. My thinking now is the SR9 might simply natively perform differently than my SR303 and there is nothing wrong with it for f the display has an issue why then why does it work perfectly when playing FM on the Receiver?

I am trying to find someone on other forums who has this SR9 to compare.