Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Placing connector on AC/DC Adapter

jstroming

Sep 18, 2010
There is something that has been perplexing me for some time, and hopefully someone can give me an answer on this.

I have an AC adapter (Sharp UADP-A044WJPZ) that I am trying to add a connection on the wire between the brick and the DC plug. Check out the attached image. Basically I cut the wire close to the brick, added a 4-pin female Neutrik chassis connector to the bit of wire remaining on the brick, and added another 4-pin male plug to the other side of the cut wire. I thought this was a basic task of picking a pin on the connector for each of the 4 leads in the wire, and making sure it matched on the other connector. Turns out I get NO power to the sharp aquos 13" TV.

I tried this years ago with a Yamaha audio mixing console and had the same results, couldn't figure it out.

Am I missing something important here that I just don't know about? I am not by any means an electronics master (obviously) but do my (very) fair share of a/v wiring and A/C electrical wiring and don't have these problems ever. I thought the voltage might be dropping, but I am not cutting the length of the wire at all, just adding maybe an inch or two of distance for the power to travel with the addition of the connector. I checked the connector, and have no shorts. Also I did check the power supply before I ripped it apart and it worked fine when it was in one piece. Please help!

Many Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• SharpPowerSupplyPlugAddition.jpg
    SharpPowerSupplyPlugAddition.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 212

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
OK, several issues.

1) make sure you don't connect either power wire to a connection that leads to the chassis.

2) I would recommend you use connectors the same as are already used on the power adapter so you don't confuse people (what if someone confuses connections and connects it to a microphone input?

Other than that, if you connect the right wires up, it should work.

Use a multimeter to confirm that the pins you've selected actually connect. A not-uncommon error is to forget that both connections are mirror images leading to incorrect pins being used or things being wired up backwards.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Yeah, and I've seen manufacturers use-up their old stockpile of left-over parts from previous production runs (like connectors with more pins, than their latest production run needs). So it sometimes happens that you get a 4-pin plug, when all you need is 2 or 3 pins in the model you have.
Sometimes, I've felt like they used 4-pin connectors, just because the plug fits more snuggly, than if they used a two, or if needed 3-pin device. Come to think of it, how often does one FIND a 3-pin device. Manufacturers, would probably use a standard 4-pin connector, even if they only USED 3 pins.