Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Playstation 1 PSU swap.

XXXXXXX

Dec 24, 2019
Hi everyone, I'm new here.
I recently bought a Japanese imported PS1 (model SCPH-5500) and I want to swap it's power supply with my old PAL PS1's PSU (model SCPH-7002). I've read that it's safe and that it works like a charm, but I really want to make sure. The Japanese PS1's power supply is 110v, The European PS1's power supply is 220v-240v, but I presume that both of these power supplies convert and output about 12 or 16 volts to the motherboard since on both motherboards I did not find capacitors with a higher voltage than 16. Both of these power supplies have 5-pinout connectors for the output. They're nearly identical aside from some minor differences like the Japanese one having a glass fuse rated 250V 2A and the European one having one of those white brick-ish fuses rated 250V 1.6 AH. The motherboards are different, the Japanese PS1 has a lot more components than the European one and a couple more capacitors, but overall they have the same connectors. I assume that both power supplies output the same amount of volts to the motherboard since the capacitors have identical voltage resistance, but I'm scared of trying it out. Please help me.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
99.99% sure it will work fine by your pretty comprehensive description.
Just one question though, why are you swapping it for 120v transformer?

Martin

XXXXXXX

Dec 24, 2019
Heeeeey, you're just the person I was looking for. Happened to run across a thread from years ago where you tried to help another dude, but he gave up. I'm swapping power supplies because I'm annoyed with voltage converter. I kinda got traumatized from blowing up my sega saturn (got it fixed though) and I'm a person with a lot of anxiety so it should come as no surprise that electricity scares the bejesus out of me. The voltage converter is incredibly noisy and heats up really quickly and I'm scared that one day I'll be playing a game for too long and it'll burn itself out, blowing up my console in the process. So I'm trying to opt out of using a converter, using a PSU swap instead. I don't know if the secondary voltages are the same, I presume they are because the capacitors all have the same voltages regardless if the Japanese motherboard has a larger amount of them. Another thing I forgot to mention is - My old PS1 (the European one) uses up 10W, this new one uses 9W. I don't really think it'll put a dangerous strain, but just wanted to make sure. Also forgot to mention that I'm from Europe, so I'm switching from a 110v power supply to a 220v one.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Yes, I am sure it will work. The power supply is only converting the mains voltage to that of the ps1.
upload_2019-12-24_17-5-10.jpeg
Martin

XXXXXXX

Dec 24, 2019
Yes, I am sure it will work. The power supply is only converting the mains voltage to that of the ps1.
View attachment 46704
Martin
What about the fact that It's a 9W capable system with the power supply of a 10W capable system? I'm so scared of it blowing up how do I know that it doesn't output a higher voltage than intended?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
It means it’s fine.. it also has another watt of headroom. So no problems.

Martin