Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PlayStation2 clock is dead, but battery is still good

King Forrest

May 24, 2018
Fixing my old PS2 Slim, model schp-70012. Messed around a few times to get the laser working (it works fine now), I noticed the clock is d e d(tm). It's always January 1st and there's nothing I can do about it. No spinny blue balls on the menu screen. I tested the battery with my multimeter and it reads a full "3.00v" with the battery unplugged, 2.98 while the battery is plugged into the motherboard. Wasn't able to test the board because the traces were very hard to follow and the diagrams in the service manual are about as easy to understand as MS-DOS is to my dad.

Is the chip dead™? Is the battery underVoltageded? Is this the work of The Glorious Devil?

I can finally take my brace off and hold a controller but I still can't play my games :(

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Test the battery voltage under some load (say a 330 ohm resistor across it).

Has the battery ever been put back into place in reverse?

King Forrest

May 24, 2018
Sadly I don't have any resistors atm, or any spare parts for that matter.

I don't think the battery was backwards. the plug only fits one way

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Easier to fit a new battery and see if it cures the problem

King Forrest

May 24, 2018
Welp, I found a pack of CR-3023s, I'll see if I can attach the leads before I go buying a new one on ebay

King Forrest

May 24, 2018
So, if its not the battery, and the fuses are good, then what else can it be?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Silly question - is the battery in the right way up?

You should be able to change the time setting regardless of whether the battery is in and/or charged/discharged. Points to potential issues with the BIOS.

If you can change the time but it doesn't remember it when you switch on/off then that's another issue.

King Forrest

May 24, 2018
Yeah, checked polarity and the clock is frozen Jan 1, 2000. If I even try to change it stays stuck

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Is there a shorting link to reset the BIOS? This is normally placed in one (certain) position to reset a BIOS (for eliminating password protection etc) and should be replaced to its 'neutral' position afterwards. If it was left in the 'wipe' position it might cause this effect.....

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
As kellys_eye and many many places on a Google search have said, cmos battery faulty.

Perhaps yours has a broken or corroded track or connection to the battery.
Have you check and traced this out at all..???

Typical response to no orb spinning, time reset to factory build date follows..............

Date and Time Issue
The blue spinning orbs or dots that you see on the menu that gives you the option to go to the Browser or System Configuration are connected to the system clock. They spin in motion with the system's time, and if the system is stuck with the time not going up or down, the orbs will stay static. The system can lose track of time after a long period of being disconnected, and you will need to set the date from 1/1/2000 to the current date.

In some cases, just after unplugging or turning off the system, turning it back on can cause the system to lose its time again, making the orbs static in one circle and the system going back to the same date with the time going up. This is because there is a clock battery inside the PS2 that stores the system's information, like date and time and a few other system configuration settings. It stores it for a good amount of time whenever the system is unplugged so that the owner of the system will not have to reapply any settings after the system not having power for a few minutes, hours, or even days or weeks. The battery will most likely drain over time and not store any of the information, and will need to be replaced with a new one.

Attachments

• ps2.jpg
    ps2.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 2

King Forrest

May 24, 2018
Could someone help me with the schematics? I have a voltmeter to test if the connections are bad.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Not likely.
Only place for that would be some PS2 hack site or similar.