Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Please help an absolute beginners with LEDs

majapi69

Sep 29, 2021
As an absolute beginner with electronics, I'm looking for a little help.

If I cut the strip and connect to the ground pad and the other lead to R, G or B pad, I will get Red, Green or Blue respectively to light up?

Please help a total newbie.

Attachments

• 42724469-7-sz.jpg
    42724469-7-sz.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 13

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Your power supply needs to match the strip, usually the strip is 12 V.
Connect '-' of the power supply to GND.
Connect '+' of the power supply to any of R, G or B or a combination thereof and the corresponding LEDs will light up.

Corrected as per @bertus' excellent labeling of your photo:
Connect '+' of the power supply to +5V.
Connect '-' of the power supply to any of R, G or B or a combination thereof and the corresponding LEDs will light up.
No other circuitry is required (current limiting is done on the strip by series resistors, no need to care about these).

Last edited:

majapi69

Sep 29, 2021
In this case it's 5v but thank you for confirming my thoughts. As I said, first timer with electronics.

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
Can you give us the description, or a supplier and part number for the led strip.
It appears to have only +5, R, G, B without the usual ground connection.
Is there a GND connection on the back of the strip?
If not, it may be that the R, G, and or B need to be connected to ground (supply negative) to make those LEDs light.
I have not personally used this sort of strip.
Is it described as "common anode" anywhere?

majapi69

Sep 29, 2021
Thank you all for your responses. I apologise for my misuse of ground when I mean power.

Howard A Read

Jul 22, 2021
It was good information. I have an idea for my office setup that is presently in progress and needed to design an LED sign that would be wall-mounted. I like to program simple messages into it. What all would I need for this? I'm personally looking at the pixelpusher. I am familiar with circuit schematics but new to electronics interface programs. Anyway, I will take a try if it is not succeded I may reach one of my friend's sign making company. I'm doing this project mainly to learn about this. Your help and suggestions are needed.

Moderators note : Again removed hidden spam link, next time you'll be banned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I apologise for my misuse of ground when I mean power.
No need to apologize, your use of "Ground" is correct, as shown in the labels added by @bertus .
If not, it may be that the R, G, and or B need to be connected to ground (supply negative) to make those LEDs light.
Right so. A common way to drive these strips as N-MOSFETs can be used to control the connection to GND.