Maker Pro
Maker Pro

please help Identify this capacitor

gigem

Nov 17, 2013
Two of these identical capacitors were blown in my 2006 Insignia LCD TV model NS32 LCD. The symptom was that there was no picture but there was sound. In fact, when the power is turned on, the screen does display, very vividly, the Input mode (visible on screen for about 2 seconds and then the screen goes black).

If you take a flashlight in a dark room and hold it at a steep angle to the screen you can make out the very faint trace of an image of the tv program that is playing. When I took the back of the TV off, these two blown capacitors are all I could find so I guess I will start there.

There is nothing printed on the board or the ends of the capacitor that provides any further identification unfortunately. Just "HA and L1050". I have seen other capacitors that list capacitance and volts before but cant decipher what this one is. Any help greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20131116_224221.jpg
    20131116_224221.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 300
  • IMAG0631.jpg
    IMAG0631.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 301

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi
welcome to the forums :)

they are inductors, NOT capacitors
what makes you think they are blown ? they will most likely read short circuit

I doubt that they are the problem, since you have misidentified them ;)
seek the fault elsewhere

cheers
Dave

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Your problem is either the CCFL backlight or the inverter (assuming it is an LCD with CCFL backlight)

Look for a board that has a series of white and pink, or white and pale blue wires running to it, and which also had some low profile transformers. This is the board that is supposed to be powering the CCFLs but isn't.

Faults here are less likely to be dead capacitors.

The voltages in this part of your TV can be very high (3000V) but is typically only several hundred when correctly operating.

A single CCFL failure can stop all of them (I'm assuming your TV has multiple).

You could disconnect the lamps (just one at a time) and see if removing one allows the inverter to start.

On the other hand you could have a failure in the inverter. Look for signs of overheating or other bad stuff on the board.