Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Please help me build a truly silent mouse.

tescrin

Nov 2, 2020
Hello all. I know that there exist products that claim to be noiseless mice. The bad news is that they're all absolute garbage and they still have a tactile "click" and an audible noise. Every one of 'em from what I can tell.

Cutting to the chase: I'm digging through aliexpress trying to find a button/switch that lacks a tactile sensation and an audible click. I might have found components for the latter that could be used such as this and this. I am *not* looking for these, as they are what are normally used in "silent" mice.

If anyone can point me to a decent component that I might be able to hack into one of my mice, I'd love to know about it, and possibly have questions on how to hook it up.

___
For those curious; I have "misophonia" for some sounds, so at times I get irrationally angry at mouse clicking. The tactile sensation is sometimes enough to drive me crazy. That said, laptop trackpads (and accessories like them) aren't the answer; as they're not suitable for games, and many of them purposely build in a click anyway, probably just to spite me.

So, while I am a humble software engineer wading into amateur electronics, your expertise on electronics equipment to help solve one of my neuroses would be greatly appreciated.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
trying to find a button/switch that lacks a tactile sensation and an audible click.
Any mechanical switch will have some kind of tactile feedback, be it ever so feeble, and will make some noise, ever so silent.
If you want a no noise solution you will have to go for a switch without mechanical movement at all, e.g. a touch sensor. I doubt you will find a mouse with built in sensors instead of switches. That is going to be a custom build. You'll still hear the tapping of your fingers and get some feedback from that, too.

How about a pair of closed earphones as an alternative to a very specialized mouse? At least the audible click can be damped that way.

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018
Yep Harolds right, even with an electrostatic touch switch, if you tap too hard with your finger... tappy... tappy tap tappy getting angry.

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018
optical would definitely be cool.
why not use a piezoelectric ultra sound depth sensor, thats a capacitor too.
the sound bounces off your finger, maybe have to source some micro emitter and receptor mini-duo from some sweat-shop in thai-wan to whack on the bum end of your mouse like shape.

after youve finished that, maybe youll have all the experience and what you need to start a 3d depth image sensor business with a micro-microphone screen. dont forget to patent it. maybe a good trademark would be "see with sound!!"

Last edited:

tescrin

Nov 2, 2020
well, maybe I'll try a couple of these other buttons/switches to up my soldering game a little bit (e.g. get from skill level 0 to 1.)

Looks like I'll have to consider hypnosis haha, thank you for the replies.