Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Please help, what is this component on my motherboard?

dalinka

Jan 29, 2021
Hi Everyone :)

I have a HP probook 450 G5. The motherboard that is inside this pro book is a DA0X8cmb6E0. During cleaning of this laptop, I let a screwdriver fall onto the board and it punched off 2 or 3 very little parts of it. I thought nothing happened and so I re-assembled it. Now the laptop won't startup anymore.

I disassembled it again and found out the damage it had made. I can't find the parts anywhere because they probably launched somewhere into our room on the carpet! I think it's a condenser or conductor of some sort. I should be able to order and solder them if I could find out what they are and what they do, maybe measuring or something? Look at the pictures… Who can help please?

Attachments

• Damage 01.jpeg
    Damage 01.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Damage 02.jpeg
    Damage 02.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 11
  • MB number.jpeg
    MB number.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Without a schematic or bill of materials and a placement to reference which components are missing I see no chance of repair. As 2 pin components these could be resistors, capacitors, diodes, even inductors (though less likely).
Even if one knew what these are, one will still have to find out which value is required.
Lacking documentation, the only chance you have is to find an identical motherboard, identify the components missing on your board and find matching replacements.

This topic is more about repair than about component identification (no components available to be identified). I'll therefore move this thread to the matching forum section.

dalinka

Jan 29, 2021
OK Thank you for the reply. There are a lot of these same looking components on this same board, could they be the same? And if not, if I find a schematic, We will know WHAT components are missing?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
There are a lot of these same looking components on this same board, could they be the same?
Usually all resistors lok similar, so do capacitors. That still doesn't give you a clue to the value of the missing componnet.
if I find a schematic, We will know WHAT components are missing?
Unlikely you find one, but if you do: each component has a unique identifier (like R212, R213, C101, C102 etc.). You'll need also an assembly plan that shows where on the PCB the respective component is placed. Therefore backtracking from the missing component to the identifier and via schematic to the value is theoretically possible. Sometimes the identifier is printed on the PCB next to the component but obviously not in your case.

I'm sorry to rob you some illusions but without proper documentation or a spare board repair is next to impossible.