Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Please I need help, does anyone knows what's this?

Federico Leoni

Jan 4, 2018
Hello!
I am passionate about electric trains models, I recently bought an stunning old locomotive from the 80', the electric motor heats up and stinks quite badly, I notice tho then the heat comes from this so-called "Suppressor" from the instruction sheet (I am totally ignorant about electronics) can anyone suggest me a modern substitute for this part? Please, your help will be very appreciated!
if is of any help the train runs on a 12v alimented rail.
IMG_4257.JPG

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
There are probably a lot of model railroader websites that can help with this.
For anyone here to be able to try to help, we need any information you have on the make and model number of your locomotive as most of us are unfamiliar with this hobby, but are competent in electronic devices.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
This component is a 50 nF ceramic capacitor. It doesn't look burnt, on the contrary, it looks pretty good. Chances are it is o.k.. Anyway, you'll find new ones in any electronics store.
But as you state the motor heats up: it is more likely the heat develops within the motor and this capacitor is only warm from the radiated heat from the motor. Have a look at the motor innards:
- all moveable parts (rotor, gears, bearings) move freely?
- brushes are in good condition?
- no dirt inside?

Federico Leoni

Jan 4, 2018
Hi Harald! Thanks for the reply!
The motor is clean, everything seems to work fine, after a lap or two the capacitor starts to heat and smell, is it normal? Can be substituted with a more secure or modern part?

shrtrnd, the train model is: Airfix GMR Royal Scott tender driven

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Snip the capacitor lead and see if you still get the same smell occurring. If you do then resolder the capacitor and take it for granted that it's ok.

Federico Leoni

Jan 4, 2018
I start really in believing it's the motor, I've lifted the capacitor upright, let the train run for a while and the capacitor was cold, the motor hot and stinky, I need to find a replacement, or install a CD drive electric motor, thank you guys for your support!