Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Portable power pack help

Frankie Bateman

Jul 19, 2017
Hi people. I'm new and also fairly new to electronics thanks for reading.

I'm building a portable power pack for myself with a 12v 20ah li ion battery inside I have the following connected.

12v cigarette port
12v dual usb point
12v aux for 12v led strip light
12v 4 channel wireless switch receiver
12v volt meter
5 x 20 slow blow 5a fuse

Anyhow I'm having a couple of issues. When I plug the charger in it shorts the whole thing so I have to remove the fuse and replace put it in? Also if one of the ports is switched on ie led light and I plug it in it shorts again. Very confusing for me is there anything that can be done to prevent this happening?

Also another thing is the battery can only do about 3 full phone charges! I've calculated it to do about 20 hours of phone charging or 9 hours of a portable tv and about 40 hours of the led light but it clearly didn't do any of this what could be the problem here?

Any help would much be appreciated DSC_0014.JPG DSC_0014.JPG DSC_0015.JPG

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I'm building a portable power pack for myself with a 12v 20ah li ion battery inside I have the following connected.

ok

Anyhow I'm having a couple of issues. When I plug the charger in it shorts the whole thing so I have to remove the fuse and replace put it in? Also if one of the ports is switched on ie led light and I plug it in it shorts again. Very confusing for me is there anything that can be done to prevent this happening?

you understand you cannot just plug the Li Ion batteries straight across a 12V source to charge them ?
they need a very specific charging system

Frankie Bateman

Jul 19, 2017
They are designed like this with a built in Over-charge/discharge protection. I'm using the charger that came with it?