Maker Pro
Maker Pro

position sensing

sujinvipin

Sep 15, 2011
I want to locate the position of the robot ( x, y coordinates) by using a magnetic sensors with magnets located in the floor. How can i get the coordinate value from these sensors and can anyone suggest which type of sensors or magnetometers i can use?

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
Hi! :)
The idea of locating a robot by sensing a magnetic field is problematic. Magnetic fields are not very nicely behaved - the direction of a magnetic field is a poor indicator of the direction of the magnet responsible for the field.
The only way i can see to use magnets is to have lots of detectors all through the floor, so that the proximity of the robot to a particular sensor would be detected. Not very precise!

sujinvipin

Sep 15, 2011
Actually there are lots of poles on the floors distributed in proportional manner, and the machine has the sensor

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
:):):)
Ahh well then. The problem is reduced to finding you a good sensor. I used to use Sprague UGN 301T's long ago, but I know things have changed. Not for the worse, however!
I predict that one of the guys will soon be along to say the name of today's anointed part, since it has slipped off my tongue for now.

Hmm
That guy turns out to be me.
I've heard that Allegro A1360, A1361, A1362 are worth looking at in your kind of application.

:) Cheers, Mark

Last edited:

sparky12

Jul 16, 2022
I want to locate the position of the robot ( x, y coordinates) by using a magnetic sensors with magnets located in the floor. How can i get the coordinate value from these sensors and can anyone suggest which type of sensors or magnetometers i can use?
I don't know if i'm correct but here are some ideas: Deal with the x-coordinates and y-coordinates separately by switching on the magnets along the x-coordinates and the y coordinates off and finding the x position. Then switch y on and x off and find the y position. You keep switching between the two. It might be easier to use an electric field rather then a magnetic field.

sparky12

Jul 16, 2022
might be able to LED's along the x-coordinates and along the y coordinates and count the pulses as the robot passes the light beams.