Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Possible new job. Looking for advice.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hi all,
I am possibly having an interview next week for a new job. I am giving up the building trade and hopefully entering the electronics industry.
Main reason is my tools have been stolen again and my love for my hobby.
The company is N.e.m.k.o (without dots) and they certify goods for CE and maybe UL but not sure yet. I know CE is for Europe and UL for the states but am unsure.
I want to come across confident but not overly and be able to answer questions about their industry.
Having read quite a bit, I realise there are many directives but I really want a heads up on the equipment and tools they may use to familiarise myself.
I understand that EMC is a major directive and I would also imagine shielding and filtering would be there go to tests.
But again, I am unsure. And unsure what equipment they would use.
If anybody has worked in this industry or knows what they do, please advise me so I at least know a little going into the interview.
Thank you for any info provided.

Martin

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
CE certification is a wide area. It means that (e.g.) a test institute verifies compliance of a product with EU regulations. These vary considerably depending on the type of product. Imagine child's toys made from wood or plastic vs. electronic household appliances vs. (big) industrial machines...

Which tools are used will strongly depend on the area of expertise you chose.
The N. company seems to cover a wide area of expertise. So the first thing for you to decide is which area you are going to work in. Maybe building inspection? Just kidding. I take it you are looking for EMC testing?
EMC testing includes for example:
  • insulation testing using AC and DC high voltage insulation testers
  • high voltage distortion testers like surge generators, burst generators, oscillatory wave generators etc. and the accompanying CDNs (coupling and decoupling networks).
  • test equipment to test emission and susceptibility to radio waves up to several GHz (including shielded test hals, antennas etc.)
  • test equipment for testing cable bound low frequency emissions and susceptibility to the same up to a few 100 kHz
In many cases on top of the EMC testing additional tests are required by the customers to fulfill all requirements for a CE logo. These can include (I don't claim completeness of the list):
  • mechanical tests (vibration, shock)
  • chemical test (agressive gases and liquids)
  • tests for water and dust resistance (IPxx)
  • Tests for flammability (especially, but not limited to, UL certifications)
Other tests depending on the customer's requirements.

Also knowledge of the applicable standards (EN, UL, etc.) and how to make a test setup conform to these standards.

The test procedure is mainly the same for every test:
  • set up a test environment according to the applicable standard and possible customer requirements
  • perform the test acc. to standard
  • write a test protocol
Setting up the test environment regularly involves support from the customer's side as you (usually) have to operate the DUT (device under test) and this is often possible only with the aid of the customer (CE qualification is usually done for new products at a time when a manual is not yet available).

Only a short overview to get you started.

Regards,
Harald Kapp

P.S.: It is also common that a customer asks for support (tips,tricks) in case a test fails.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Wow, thanks Harald.
That's a lot to take in. I have made lots of notes from your reply and will research each individually.

The job is advertised as:
Engineers and trainee engineers required for electrical safety testing.
Audio & video - Laboratory equipment - Lighting - Electrical appliances - IT & office - plugs & sockets.

I called the N company to ask what they do as P.A.T testing doesn't interest me at all (not all day every day).
But to my surprise, I was told about the UL and CE certification of electrical goods.

I will do as much homework as I can over the weekend so I can at least pretend to know something :p.

Martin

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Wow, thanks again Harald.
That site doesn't come up with my searches on Firefox. It's in my favourites now.
I have all day today and the weekend to go through each chapter.
If there is something I don't understand, I'll ask here if that's OK?.
Thanks again.

Martin

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

I always use Yahoo advanced search.
It has often other results as google or bing.
In there you can type words that must be on the page, words that may not be on the page and even a phrase of text can be given:
Yahoo Advanced Search
You can even set the domain or filetype in the search page.

Bertus

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Well, I have my interview tomorrow morning (Tuesday) at 10am.
Thank you for the links and the help.
I hope I can bluff my way in enough to then learn the trade. I have lots of information and related terms that will at the very least, show I have done my homework.

Martin

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
The interview went very well. I was in there over two hours.
Two managers sat in on the interview and played 'good cop, bad cop'. Very strange.
I answered all their questions with ease and bluffed my way through explaining some SMPS schematics.
They specifically wanted to know safety components and main faults of various devices.
The job itself is not EMC as I thought. It is all about safety ie:
Cable current rating checks, twisting cable to breaking point, IPx rating checks in a shower cubicle, hammer/impact tests, flame proof tests, glass shatter tests etc etc.
Very interesting bench setups with actuators everywhere for various tests.
I specifically liked the 'blow up' test where items/devices are deliberately put under fault conditions.
Given the chance, I think I'd really enjoy the job. I have to wait several weeks for them to interview other applicants and hopefully get to the second interview.
All in all, a good experience and a positive one.

Martin

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Forgot to add my magic trick on the boardroom table.
When the schematic was passed to me, I pulled out my glasses from my jacket pocket and to my horror, confetti fell on the table and floor.
I had washed my jacket the night before and obviously had paper in the pocket!

Martin

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Thanks Bertus.
Thankfully, the job does include electronics.
But yes, twisting cables around portable devices 2000 times on hair dryers, hair straighteners, clothes irons, power washers etc.
Creepage and clearance distances, isolation, earth and resistance tests. Pretty much all aspects of electrical safety.

Martin