Maker Pro
Maker Pro

possible to repair usb flash drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanakanaka77

Mar 15, 2011
I accidentally ran it through the wash/dryer... Had some school stuff on there. When I plug it in the computer doesn't recognize it however the light at the end of the circuit board turns on. Wouldn't this mean the circuit is being completed? Anyhoo, any ideas or is this thing most likely toast?
thanks!

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
When I plug it in the computer doesn't recognize it however the light at the end of the circuit board turns on.

STOP doing this, if you have not caused harm you will...

Take the drive, put it in a ziplock bag full of dry rice and let it sit for a week...

After a week test it out, if it works great, if not Google for flash drive recovery software and see if they can recover anything...

If that doesn't work the only real option left is to send it out to a data recover company and it's STUPID expensive to have them attempt recovery, but you have to decide if that is worth it...

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I would recommend dunking it in distilled water (for a device like this, put it in a bottle with distilled water and give it a shake like you're making a cocktail (no ice). The idea here is to remove any water soluble stuff (detergent?) that got in with the water)

Then repeat the same thing with alcohol (pure, not drinking type). (the idea here is to displace the water with one which will evaporate faster)

leave it in a warm place to dry. Note that your device will be flammable(!) after removing it from the alcohol so I would not recommend placing it in an oven or anything like that -- a warm place will do fine.

The faster you can do this after getting the device wet, the better.

For things with a battery (mobile phone) remove the battery as quickly as possible *before* doing anything else.

Donaldald

Nov 12, 2019
STOP doing this, if you have not caused harm you will...

Take the drive, put it in a ziplock bag full of dry rice and let it sit for a week...

After a week test it out, if it works great, if not Google for flash drive recovery software and see if they can recover anything...

If that doesn't work the only real option left is to send it out to a data recover company and it's STUPID expensive to have them attempt recovery, but you have to decide if that is worth it...
Yes, let it dry first, and there is a chance that it will return to normal. Secondly, I know that there is a method called "command prompt", not sure whether it is valid: connect USB to PC> press Win + R to open "Run" prompt > type cmd in the command box > type chkdsk H (drive name ): /f, then enter > confirm and continue > enter H again (drive name) and continue > enter H:> attrib -h -r -s /s /d *.* and hit enter > wait for the progress of USB drive recovery completed.

Last edited by a moderator:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Yes, let it dry first,

This is a 7 year old thread you have responded to --- not a good practice
the member you quoted disappeared many years ago and we never heard back from the OP

I will leave you post and close the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.