Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Potentiometer identification

Protoncub

Dec 3, 2018
I purchased a used airplane that has a stabilizer in it called Eagletree Guardian. The stabilizer has three variable pots on it for adjustments; pitch, roll, and yaw. They are approx 7mm square and a height of 4mm. The markings on the pots are KT3362,u103, and 306e. The unit is old and when I stuck a Phillips screwdriver on 1 of the pots, it just crumbled. I know just enough about electronics to be dangerous, but thought I would try replacing all three even though only 1 is damaged. If one goes, it won’t be long until the rest break as well. So I looked up what I thought the markings represented on Digi-Key and found pots made by Bourn that look identical down to the ribbed plastic on one side.

Would you tell me if I am on the right track for the proper replacement?
1) it looks like 3362 is a series number and that perhaps Bourne bought out KT?
2) the marking u103 is what the resistance the pot is. In this case 1 followed 4 0’s or a 10k ohm pot?
3) I have no idea what 306e is. Can I get some help with this?
4) I dabble in electronics and bought an assortment of pots from Amazon. Could I use those instead of ordering from Digi-Key? I’m guessing that the ones I order from Digi-Key will be more reliable. The price at Digi-Key is not a wallet buster, but I hate to pay more for shipping than what the parts cost. I also can order more stuff so shipping wouldn’t be a real killer.
Your help is appreciated and I hope to hear back from someone soon.
Thanks
Carroll

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Sure looks like you got that info correct but it’s 1, 0 & 3 x 0’s.
10000 (10kΩ) trimmer pot.
Order them from a reputable source. Or your ‘guardian’ may wander..
This is a plane! Not a toy. Although, I’m sure your assorted pack will work just fine.
KT & Bourn? No idea. Somebody here will know.

Martin

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Getting an identical replacement is really only necessary if space or aesthetics is an issue as 'any' preset pot that can be wired in will do the job.
That said, it's a 10k pot (as Martaine says) and otherwise 'as common as muck).

Protoncub

Dec 3, 2018
Thanks for all of your answers. 1 quick follow up. I haven’t removed the pots from the pc board, so I am guessing that the pins on the new pot are the same as the pots I am removing. Does that sound right? Thanks

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Thanks for all of your answers. 1 quick follow up. I haven’t removed the pots from the pc board, so I am guessing that the pins on the new pot are the same as the pots I am removing. Does that sound right? Thanks
Yes, identical.

Protoncub

Dec 3, 2018
Again thanks everyone for replying. I have confidence that I am doing it right. The first picture is the replacement part I ordered from Digi-Key and the second picture is the stabilizer that I am repairing. As Martaine mentioned, this is not a toy but serous stuff :cool:. Actually, I would hate for it to crash because of a faulty part (or a faulty soldering job) and I wanted to make sure it was absolutely right. . Thanks again. I'll post pictures of my repair once I make them.
10K Pot.PNG Stablizer.jpg

Attachments

• Stablizer.jpg
    Stablizer.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 4

Protoncub

Dec 3, 2018
Well, bad news. First of all, lessons I leaned last night. First, check to make sure what the pin alignment on pots are. I took the back off of the stabilizer and realized that the pins on the pot were placed in a row instead of a triangle. (BTW, anyone want to buy 5 10K pots?) Second, make sure that any components next to the pins are protected from the solder remover. There was a smd capacitor next to one of the pins and when I de-soldered the first pot, I accidently touched the cap and have no idea where it went. It was half the size of a grain of rice and it just disappeared. I do have a microscope with a screen and with some patience, I might have been able to put it back. Woops.
I always look for the silver lining and the good news is I found a replacement for the stabilizer. The one I was going to work on was made in 2011 and the replacement is $22 instead of $69 that the old one sold for. I bet the technology is much much better now so except for having 5 more pots that my family is going to have to get rid of when I go, I have a better unit.
Best Wishes
Carroll

Protoncub

Dec 3, 2018
Well, I was being a bit facetious, but actually losing control of an airplane can cause serious injury and death.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Well, I was being a bit facetious, but actually losing control of an airplane can cause serious injury and death.
I my experience, fixed wing stabilisers (totally unnecessary in 99% of applications) are switchable given you, as the controller, decides what applies.
Apart from that, if you consider it "so important" then why muck with it in the first place.