Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Power an Arduno via slip ring?

dcsnga85

Feb 9, 2022
I'm working on a hobby project and I had planned on using an Arduno to control motor speed and LED sequences, but the issue is the main feature of the display is on a rotating platform, which means I would be unable to just plug the arduno in directly. Would I be able to wire a USB onto either end of a slip ring in order to power the arduno? I was looking at something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Taidacent-Wi...7NSPHVTN/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B07NSPHVTN&th=1

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
In theory should be ok BUT there is the ever present problem of perhaps noise and requirement for extra power regulation.
If so it could possibly be overcome by transferring a higher dc level and regulate on-site so-to-speak.
Slip ring power transfer like anything with low voltage could create unseen/un-thought-of problems.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I totally agree.
Use e.g. a 9 V supply (the Arduino has an input for that) and additional filter capacitors (e.g. 1000 µF, 16V) on the rotating side of the contraption. The capacitor will help to span any short interruptions due to the slip rings, the Arduino will generate the required 5 V from the 9 V even if the 9V shows some noise.

Hellmut1956

Aug 11, 2014
What about using an ESP32 board. It is also very cheap and it has WLAN and Bluetooth functionality. So data i/F should be no problem. As to the power supply I do fully agree with Harald.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
As I understand it the Arduino is meant to be placed onto the rotating part of the contraption and the issue is all about uninterrupted power transfer.