Maker Pro
Maker Pro

power jack for hp3800A

whburling

Feb 25, 2017
Good Afternoon,

I am a surveying student at a local community college in Norwich, CT. Someone donated an
HP 3800A distance meter to our class.

We would appreciate using it but it came without a power cord. It DID come with a picture of the power plug that supposedly should have been with it.

Looking at the picture, the plug that goes into a wall is the normal three prong plug, But looking at the actual device, the only place where I could see power could be connected is a connector socket that is not typical.

The other end of the power cord that plugs into the device looks like a female receptor for a male multiple(many more than three) prong plug that might be used in military gear (it has a circular body with a possible locking mechanism?). I can provide a picture (I have to wait for the next class to get into the locked lab).

I did try and find information about the device on HP's web site but to no avail. What kind of diagram or other paperwork would specify the plug to make it easier for me to replace.

Does anyone know how I might try and identify what the plug type and model might be. If i take the plug out of the machine, will I discover a plug type id or mgr part number that I could then use
for a search in a catalog (which do i use?).

It seems odd that the input would use a plug that has significantly more prongs than the traditional three. Is that because HP might have provided a battery option so the device could be used in the field? That seems likely as outside use would be necessary for outdoor surveying. tIf the device was to be used with AC or DC, that would mean the connector would have to be at least 5 prongs, maybe even 6 (is that correct?).

I welcome any advice you can offer that would enable us to use this device.

respectfully,
whburling
860-287-7753

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Matching cables for this socket seem very hard to find.
I suggest you replace the power connector on the device by a moderns standard connector (Steve's link, top item). That way you'll have easy access to a new cord should one get lost.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I saw four of them on eBay. But they're pretty expensive. Unless I was wanting to restore something to as-new condition as a collector I'd investigate replacement as Harald suggests.