Maker Pro
Maker Pro

POWER QUALITY ANALYZERS and use with different brand current probes

john van allen

Jan 5, 2018
Over the years I have acquired a lot of test equipment. One piece of gear was a DRANETZ EP1 which came with 4 current probes for measuring AC currents up to 3000Amps. However I am sometimes asked to perform discharge curves on DC battery banks so had been using a Fluke i1010 DC Current Clamp-on probe with one Fluke 87 recording DVM and a second Fluke 87 recording the DC volts during a discharge test. The Dranetz has the A, B. and C channels for 3 phase AC power and a "D" channel for differential marked positive and negative. Isn't there some way I can use my Fluke i1010 DC probe on the D channel of the DRANETZ using the scale factor settings to get the 1mv per DC Amp to create a graphical discharge curve.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Probably not.

AC and DC current probes typically use a different type of sensor and equipment desired for one will not work with the other.

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
Looks like it may be possible.
That EP1 can measure DC voltage and current.
They do use a Hall effect probe for DC called PR150 and PR1500.
You can compare it 's specs to the Fluke you have.

I think it would be wise to consult DRANETZ here

EP-1.jpg

john van allen

Jan 5, 2018
Thank you for your response. The Fluke i1010 is Hall effect CT, uses a 9v battery on DC and produces 1mv dc for each DC Amp passing through the clamp. The PR150/SP2B is almost identical except it produces 10mv dc for each DC Amp passing through the clamp. The Dranetz has a "Scale Factor" setting which seems to imply that I should be able to get this Fluke clamp to work without placing the Dranetz at any risk. Dranetz prefers I buy the PR150 but at 600 a pop plus having the i1010 it seems a shame if its usable. I may require some adapters to mate the i1010 with the Dranetz inputs but that should be easy. Has anybody tried to set this up with scale factor adjustments?
Thanks
John