Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Power supplies and exchanging boards

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
Will a complicated electronics device such as a musical organ, work if the power supply is changed out for a PS with the same voltages outputs ?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Generally yes but it is a fairly broad query.
Details of what is existing and the intended replacement would help to clarify.
Current level is also an important requirement as is AC DC.

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
The Gulbransen Equinox 2 was a joint build by CBS, and Gulbransen. It has a transformer that induced 35v 12v 5v and 12.6v , it's rectified by the PS board, then drives an electronic board, that is considered digital. It's an electronic digital version of the old electronic organs. The thing was struck by lightning. It melted the transformer, which I am finding impossible to replace. I need a PS alternative...boo hiss please don't throw me out for insolence...!!!

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
You need to determine the Va rating, usually physical size gives a good general idea.
Once you do then look for a transformer with at least that rating and preferably with at least one winding suitable, the others could be added by a small over-wind.
To determine the turns/volt, wind 10 turns on and measure.
A Toroidal type is even easier to add turns/secondaries.
An assumption is that the DC power devices and the rest of the board are OK??

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir roughshawd . . . . . ( My Spell Check is now cocking its head and questioning your spell competency of your user name ? )

It has a transformer that induced 35v 12v 5v and 12.6v

To be more exact . . . . .amend that to be outputted DC supply voltages of +35 -35 +12 -12 and +5 .
Now some questions . . . . is this being your own unit from its day one and are you well acquainted with the unit in the interim ?
Can the lightning strike be pinpointed . . . . with other household items receiving damage . . . . as coinciding time related to the Gulb death?

Or is there a possibility of the unit being left turned on . . . . . forgotten . . . . . .heating up . . . .and transformer being damaged by shorted power supply diode(s)sets / bridges ?

Now is the time to test the D9 and D10 full wave rectifier set.
Move on, to then test the D1-2-3-4 full wave bridge rectifier build up.
Move on, to then test the D5-6-7-8 full wave bridge rectifier build up.
They may all need to be out of circuit , with one lead floating free. . .to be sure.
If no shorted junctions are found . . . . the lightning hit might be valid.
IF bad diodes were found you might then leave them in that / their disconnected state and test the transformer with power applied, to see if smoke /or/ any stinkee-poo emanates.

Then if a transformer need is confirmed . . . . . . study the schematic below to see if it is being in agreement with your unit.

Also . . . . in the past good times when playing this unit . . . . .what was the volume level setting normally played at . . . . 25% 50% 75% . . .?
Also, doesn't this unit use 8 and 15 in spkrs ?

GULB POWER SUPPLY . . . . .

upload_2021-10-19_19-35-16.png

73's de Edd . . . . .

Senility has been a quite smooth life transition for me.

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
The old transformer was completely melted and their was no continuity through the coils. Laminated E frame. There was no power going through the transformer, no volts going into the PS from the outputs on the transformer. Bad transformer. It was making a loud whining, moaning noise when I bought it from the original owner (I got a copy of the original reciept... its a 3000$ organ and needs a new PS.
There was a lightning storm here and it cooked just about everything for 5 miles.
I have to say it again though... " If I supply the right power to the transformer outputs on the PS, will it produce the same effect as having a multi-volt/multi-out transformer? "

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
The "speakers" mr. 'HeeHaw' (punned to death during amature temper out burst) is a built in leslie that uses a small say 5" speaker. It a really funky 3000 dollar easy to see what it does "First of its kind" digital system that is powered by ancient PS power and outdated drivers!

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
GulbScan.jpg This is the diagram that was in the book... close... but no bananas.. or ants as the case may be.

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
Same idea I got the PCB layout too! I need the transformers!!! The PCB is all in one piece!!! unbelievable huh...GulbPCBx.jpg

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Yes . . .YES . . .YES . . . . you can either use separate complete power supply's for the required voltages.
OR . . . . . use individual power transformers, to tie into the separate sections, to be able to use this existing power supply again.
BUT its bordering on extremely impossible to get / find another exact replacement transformer with those specific windings voltage and loaded current specs.

Now you have provided THE schematic for the unit, but MY unit gave the loaded down AC voltage specs.
Now thats just leaving us to find the DC current draw requirement for each supply.

Have you played this unit ? as you shortchanged me on the info query on the typical max volume level that this unit will be played at .

OK . . . I now have a working thought process solution on solving the top winding situation.

Also, for the next winding down

Now I'm down to the third winding and you will now have to tell me how involved in electronics you are, which equates to what you gots ?
Specifically, we need about 10VDC @ 2 amps of current capability.
So o o o o o o do you have an adjustable power supply capable of that or are you having better heeled / techno equipped acquaintances that would give you a short time loan / use of same ?

BECAUSE . . . .you initially need to be able to CHEEEEEEEEEPLY evaluate the main music board, because it may have some seeeeeeeeerious problem with it.

The final bottom winding , considering its function, is being a mere "not to worry situation"

Thaaaaaassit . . . . . .

73's de Edd . . . . .

I started out my life with nothing . . . . . . and I still have most of it.

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
how come with 3a diodes in the rectifiers, and 6a diodes in the stiffener... are we using so many amps in the circuit? Won't that blow up the rectifiers? So what are we talking about ISA? 1a (+-) signal?

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
Stabilly I would say that 10a is a fairly common stable desire, but I am guessing, I'm not that far in electronics yet...
I suppose that if you send 10a through the processor boards on this it will probably fry them out! So lets see what happens if I stick this 9v battery on my tounge.... gnought suhch a dood ideeah...

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
SIR roughshawd . . . . .

WHASSAMATTAHYOU ? . . . .
your OCD kicking in . . . HARD . .. in its obsessive attention mode with no imparted relevance being given to the real situation at hand

I suppose that if you send 10a through the processor boards on this it will probably fry them out!
They will only be pulling their required current needs . . . . no force feed being possible .
Now, how about going back and supplying the requested info.

73's de Edd . . . . .