Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Power supply for CB

SparkyCal

Mar 11, 2020
Hi my friends

I have the following question. I have a bench power supply. The description is below. I am trying to use it to power my CB radio. I dialed in 12 volts but the amp/current readout seemed to be activated and it was giving me different read outs, which made my cb work funny. The transmit was not giving me full transmitting output

how can I get this power supply to simply give me 12 volts without complications ?
DC Bench Power Supply Variable 4-Digital LED Display 60V /5A ,
High Precision Adjustable Regulated Switching Power Supply Digital with Alligator Leads,
CA Power Cord for Repair, Lab, DIY Tool, Electronic Research, Powering Ebike

Thank you

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
You'll need to supply the make/model of your power supply or possibly even better, a link to the supply spec sheet.

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello

It can well be that the powersupply becomes instable due to the RF power
Try to put the powerleads through a ferrite ring and see if that helps

Bertus

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Have you got current limiting set? Set it to max.
Plus, my old (linear) CB supplies were 13.2 Volts.

Martin

bigkim100

Apr 17, 2013
Hi my friends

I have the following question. I have a bench power supply. The description is below. I am trying to use it to power my CB radio. I dialed in 12 volts but the amp/current readout seemed to be activated and it was giving me different read outs, which made my cb work funny. The transmit was not giving me full transmitting output

how can I get this power supply to simply give me 12 volts without complications ?
DC Bench Power Supply Variable 4-Digital LED Display 60V /5A , High Precision Adjustable Regulated Switching Power Supply Digital with Alligator Leads, CA Power Cord for Repair, Lab, DIY Tool, Electronic Research, Powering Ebike
Thank you
For a CB radio (as I was part of the initial CB radio "first Wave") I found that a true "Brute Force" supply, one that consisted of a Transformer, Bridge, regulator, and a whopping amount of smoothing capacitors worked best. I think a prissy Lab supply is not the best choice. I recently fixed a CB radio, and I found a original supply from the "ye olde times" of CBing for 5 bucks on Kijji. Best way to go, and I still have the supply.

bigkim100

Apr 17, 2013
and honestly ., cb radios are not that picky about their voltage, being happy anywhere from 12v to 13.8v AS MOST HAD A INTERNAL REGULATOR AS WELL

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

Tony van Roon made a stable powersupply that can be used for RF circuits.
The lower part of page 12 of the PDF tells you more about the output filtering.

Bertus

Attachments

• Bench top power supply Tony van Roon.pdf
    442.4 KB · Views: 5

bigkim100

Apr 17, 2013
Hi my friends

DC Bench Power Supply Variable 4-Digital LED Display 60V /5A , High Precision Adjustable Regulated Switching Power Supply Digital with Alligator Leads, CA Power Cord for Repair, Lab, DIY Tool, Electronic Research, Powering Ebike
Thank you
My bet is that your supply cannot take the full constant amperage that the radio needs

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I do believe that shorting the output leads is the way to set current limit.
If you set voltage to approx 5V, then clip the output leads together. The CC knob should now be active. Set Current to 4-4.5A and then separate the leads. Now just set your voltage to 13.8V or similar.
If the current won’t set, repeat but up the voltage to 8-10V.

Martin

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Not sure I know how to control it.
These knobs:
upload_2022-6-16_9-28-40.png
Current limiting in a bench top power supply is typically used to prevent overcurrent while experimenting e.g. with a breadboard or losely wired connections (these are cases where a short circuit can easily be created).
When used with a functioning device, overcurrent protection is not required (the device should have a fuse). Imho you can safely set the current limit to max.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Imho you can safely set the current limit to max.
Harald, was my assumption correct about shorting the output leads?. I don’t want to give false information. I just remember my son’s friend at university not being able to set current on his. But his was a £30 unit from eBay, this one seems rather pricey for what it is!. Mine is programmable so No need for shorting the leads.

Martin

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
was my assumption correct about shorting the output leads?.
I think yes. At least that's the way I do it, too.

One addition: set the current limit knobs to minimum before shorting the output. Otherwise an unreasonable high current may flow. After shorting the wires, turn the CC knobs until the limit you want to set is reached.

SparkyCal

Mar 11, 2020
Thank-you my friends for all the advice. I will try it at my earliest opportunity

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

Does the led next to the ampere meter light, when there is a failure? (C.C. constant indicator)
Powersupply_30V_10A_amazon.jpg
Bertus

SparkyCal

Mar 11, 2020
Bertus. I don’t know because it has been ages since I did anything electronically. Once I get a chance, I will report back.