Maker Pro
Maker Pro

power supply rebuild

jvdbossc

Jan 27, 2012
Is it possible to use a 1 amp lm317 pcb with current limiting to drive 2N3055 and keep the current limiting ability?

b to output lm317 pcb +
c to + on bridge
e to 0.1 ohm and add as much as needed, in this case 4 x 2N3055.

I know this works for a variable psu I already build one. The pcb did not have current limiting only voltage regulation wich works perfect. But this time I would like the ability to limit current as well..

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
It might work, but then you will have added additional current capability that would immediately be shut down by the current limiting.

Bob

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I doubt this is possible without using extensive additional electronics. Have a look at the LM317 datasheet, especially the functional block diagram in chapter 7.2. The current limiting circuit within the LM317 measures the output current as indicated by a resistor between the emitter of the power transistor and the output pin. Any current flowing through an external power transistor will not be effective in the curent limiting circuit of the LM317.

What's the use of such a circuit anyway? An external power transistor (or transistors) is used to boost the output current capability of the regulator. It would be be against this intention if you limit the current to the LM317's range.