Maker Pro
Maker Pro

power supply to drive a DC motor

junksasa

Sep 14, 2013
What type of AC>DC power supply should be used to drive a DC motor? I have seen switched and linear power supplies. Some are regulated and others non-regulated. I want to use this instead of the large car size battery the motor currently uses.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Any supply as long as the voltage matches that of the motor and the current is high enough for the motor.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi junksasa

frank's point was kinda obvious you already knew that ;)

Harald's comment was totally valid
Any supply as long as the voltage matches that of the motor and the current is high enough for the motor.

since you havent told us anything about the motor ... its voltage or current ratings
Harald's advice was the best that could be given ;)

Dave

junksasa

Sep 14, 2013
hi junksasa

frank's point was kinda obvious you already knew that ;)

Harald's comment was totally valid

since you havent told us anything about the motor ... its voltage or current ratings
Harald's advice was the best that could be given ;)

Dave

If thats true then why are there PS that are switched and linear, regulated and non-regulated? What are the applications for these different types of PS? My motor is 24VDC, 5A nominal, 10A loaded.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
switched mode vs. linear:
SMPS have high efficiency (low loss), but are comparatively noisy.
Linear regulators have low efficiency (high loss), but cqn be very silent (low noise).

Regulated vs. unregulated:
What's the question? It is obvious, isn't it?
If you need a precise voltage, you regulate. If your requirements with respect to voltage regulatioon are low, you can use an unregulated supply. For a motor you don't need a regulated supply - unless it is explicitely stated by the manufacturer (e.e. if the motor is electronically commutated, also called brushless. But that's another story).

Read this overview.