Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Powerbank power on switch

Koenneok

Jan 29, 2024
Hello everyone,
I’m relatively new to the electronics hobby and I’m working on a power bank using some 18650 cels a bms 2 thermos switches/fusses, a better percentage display and 2 12v car chargers. Iad first I forgot to add a on off switch but most power banks don’t use a on off switches but a momentary switch. And this is also the route i made before accident. So before i go and buy the correct switch I want to try it with the momentary one but i have no clue how to or what to search for. Hopefully somebody here that can point me in the right direction or has som advice/Experience.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Welcome to Maker Pro! :)
And this is also the route i made before accident
I'm happy you got here as quick as you could because now you're just on time for your second accident.
using some 18650 cels a bms 2 thermos switches/fusses, a better percentage display and 2 12v car chargers.
Can you show a photo of your setup.
you cannot use 12 volt lead acid battery chargers for lithium-ion batteries independent of a battery management system.
Would you happen to have a link to those as well,thank you.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
So before i go and buy the correct switch I want to try it with the momentary one but i have no clue how to or what to search for.
What kind of switch you can use depends on the charger/battery management module you use.
If the module has an option for a momentary on/off button, you can use any momentary pushbutton you like.
If the module does not have an option for a momentary on/off button, you can't use one. You will then have to resort to an alternate switch or a toggle switch.

Koenneok

Jan 29, 2024
Sorry, I meant a cigarettes charger. The charger you use In a care. So from my Battery pack it goes trough the bms to the 12v sigaret charge that is acting as my output to my phone or laptop.

I basset my design of a tutorial from YouTube but skilled id a bit up so I can charge my laptop with it. I’m using 2 12v sigaret charges 1x 20w max output and a (one plus supervooc) 80w charger.

Last edited:

Koenneok

Jan 29, 2024
What kind of switch you can use depends on the charger/battery management module you use.
If the module has an option for a momentary on/off button, you can use any momentary pushbutton you like.
If the module does not have an option for a momentary on/off button, you can't use one. You will then have to resort to an alternate switch or a toggle switch.
As far as I know the bms that I use to safely charge and discharge the battery doesn’t have any option for a switch. I was kinda hoping that there is some kind of systeem I can make or buy that starts letting energy pass after a switch press and stops when there is no electrical load any more.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Show what you have there.
LiPo's require dedicated charger as already stated regardless of whether or not you use battery management modules.

Koenneok

Jan 29, 2024
Show what you have there.
LiPo's require dedicated charger as already stated regardless of whether or not you use battery management modules.
I have a 3s6p battery pack with a lithium battery management system with a dedicated charging system build in besides the normal over and under voltage protection circuit. It’s an off brand/ unknown one but it is from a reputable electronics website and it has pretty good reviews

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
brand/ unknown one but it is from a reputable electronics website and it has pretty good reviews
Can you post a photo of your BMS
A lot of the economical battery Management systems use anti-spark switches both latching and momentary and that is dictated by the MCU programming.

Koenneok

Jan 29, 2024
Can you post a photo of your BMS
A lot of the economical battery Management systems use anti-spark switches both latching and momentary and that is dictated by the MCU programming.
I have 2 different ones. I was planning to use the white one but if you all say going with the green one is better il go with that one.I just don’t have the Lord yet to make this decisions on my own..
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg