Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Powering multiple circuits and a motor with Batteries

JFarls

Mar 30, 2012
Hi Guys,

I'm currently working on a project that involves a pre-amp circuit, a 1W amp circuit and a motor, I'm hoping to make a self contained object so I was wondering if it would be possible to operate all of these three devices from batteries alone?

I'm not sure which motor I'm going to use yet but it will be no bigger than they one you would find in a cassette player. The voltage requirements of the pre-amp is from 6 - 18 v and the amp is from 4 - 12 v

I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to electronics so apologies if my explanation doesn't make any sense. Any help is greatly appreciated so thanks in advance.

Joe

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
I'm hoping to make a self contained object so I was wondering if it would be possible to operate all of these three devices from batteries alone?

as long as the motor voltage falls between 6 - 12V then I don't see why not. What type of battery you need and how big will depend on the current draw of the 3 components of your project. Do you know what the current requirements are?

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
A 1W amplifier and a motor that probably dissipates around 0.6W or so means your batteries would need to have around 2Wh of capacity for every hour of run time. 4 alkaline D cells would probably run for 3 hours or more, smaller batteries less.

Once you have everything assembled, you can measure the total current draw at whatever voltage you decide to use. I would try to use the highest convenient common voltage (6, 9 or 12) since this will reduce the current requirements for any circuit components and improve battery efficiency.