Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Preamp with IR (remote) Capability

THC

Jan 30, 2010
Hello,
I have a simple need that seems to be not available on-the-cheap commercially. I don't want to spend more than $50.

I want to have an audio preamp that has IR/(Remote Control) capability. I only need level (volume) capability. I would have one for each of my 3 old audio amplifier that predate remotes. I don't want to buy a used audio receiver (can't find any less than $100 for my needs).

I have a device with (passive I'm guessing?) preamp and IR, but it only has output stage for wires (RCA, etc), not input. The input is a wireless signal from a computer. I would gladly perform surgery on this device if I knew what to do!

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Several ideas. Firstly, if you can find motorised pots, this circuit (which may be available as a kit) should do the trick:

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_30559/article.html

if you don't have a motorised pot, you could write your own PIC software to control one of these: http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/DS4301.pdf (there are all sorts of these with different numbers of steps, single and multiple channel, different ranges of resistance etc)

Oh, OK, you also need a preamp -- what sort of input, what are the input requirements for the amps, and how critical are you about distortion (i.e. do you want 0.005% or less, or are you not overly concerned as long as it doesn't sound like rubbish)?

THC

Jan 30, 2010
really interesting..

Wow, thanks Steve (talk about exactly what I am looking for).

I have not built an electric circuit in decades (even though I have a BSEE!).

Hmm.. I guess I will have to invest $9 just to read the whole article :(
Actually, 1st I'll buy the motorized pot and see if it would even fit!

I have not looked at your second suggestion yet, but the first is inspired, and a hilarious mix of really old-school and less old-school!

Thanks again, and maybe it will bare fruit :)