Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Printer Hacks for PCB manufacture

quantumtangles

Dec 19, 2012
Rumour has it that Epsom printers are optimal for making your own PCBs.

That is to say, printing direct onto the copper plate before using etchant.

Has anyone come across printers (other than the Epsom R800) particularly amenable for adaptation to printing direct onto PCB copper?

Number

Jun 9, 2013
Only thing I can think of is CNC. You're talking about sticking the PCB into the printer & just clicking 'Print' correct? Again, can't recall anything however I'm sure there's info on how to hack it (laserjet?) but I'm thinking the rumors aren't true. Or only some truth. If you happen to find related info please share. I think hacking printers into some other useful machine is pretty interesting. Should be fun.

GonzoEngineer

Dec 2, 2011
The PCB Fabricator use in Utah uses a printer to print the resist on bare copper boards.
They same printer is also used to apple the soldermask and silkscreen as well.

No more film and chemicals.

I am sure if you google PCB Manufacturing Equipment you will find it.

quantumtangles

Dec 19, 2012
Thanks for the interesting responses. Much appreciated and apologies for delay in saying so.

I can post photos of my home made etched boards if that would be of interest. I designed circuits using Circuit Wizard and then printed them using a laser printer onto yellow transfer paper (has a shiny side just like transfer paper for T-shirts). Then used a hot iron to impress the shiny side bearing the circuit onto a copper plate, and finally used Ferric Chloride as an etchant, with mixed results. Some circuits were great and others not so.