Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Probably A Simple Answer

DGB

Jan 12, 2010
Hi all,

I'm a tinkerer, and don't posess alot of electronics knowledge. I have built a very simple electromagnet being powered by either a 9v battery, or 12v (8 AA). I would like to know if there is a way to keep current flowing into the magnet without the batter getting too hot. I also have a 12v led I'd like to install with a switch to allow on/off function. The magnet works great, just keep getting the battery way too hot.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
If a battery gets hot then you're drawing too much current from it.
As it's now I suspect it's the battery that is limiting the current (being practically short-circuited), and not the electromagnet as it should be.
You need to use thinner magnet wire and a lot more turns. Either that or a lower-voltage battery (stronger). Either method will make the magnet stronger.
Also, the more mass of wire you are able to put around the core the stronger it will be.

DGB

Jan 12, 2010
I appreciate the help. I am performing a study on the effects of emf's on perceived or actual paranormal activity. I'm trying to build a simple (inexpensive) emf generator that will yield consistent output. Any help is appreciated. Do you think the simple electromagnet is the ideal way to produce a consistent emf?

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
It'll certainly produce emf, but only when connected & disconnected. When it's continously on it's nothing different from a permanent magnet.
The most emf-producing device I can think of is a tesla-coil. It makes both an electric and a magnetic ac field, though it's kind of noisy when running on full blast.
Electric and magnetic fields however weakens by the cube of the distance from the source, so if you want to fill a room uniformly for instance you'll pretty much need to wind a coil around the perimeter of the room.
Very intense & focused fields have been shown to actually be able to disrupt local functions of the brain.