Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Problem connection with camera ,PCI maybe broken

max2967

Apr 16, 2015
Hi everyone,

I wanted to be sure that my pci card was really broken before buying a new one...

So I am using a emccd camera and its specific pci card with my computer, it has been working perfectly until few days ago. I think I might have somehow blown the pci when I touched some cables behind the computer because when I tried to run the camera program this error occured "cannot detect camera.Please connect camera and restart software". Fortunately, the camera (very sensitive) works with another computer and pci.

To be sure it was the pci card that had a problem and not my computer or my driver, I installed this pci card into another computer and installed all the drivers given by the manufacter. But when I launched the camera software, it still didn´t work...

What I don´t understand is that if my pci card is broken why the driver installation on it succeeded without any problems? Could there be another reason why the camera program cannot detect the camera except a blown pci? If the pci is broken is it possible to repair it or will I need to buy a new one?

Thanks for you help!

Fisher77

Apr 16, 2015
What operating system are you running?
Have you gone to the device manager to see if the card is working properly?

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
What I don´t understand is that if my pci card is broken why the driver installation on it succeeded without any problems? Could there be another reason why the camera program cannot detect the camera except a blown pci? If the pci is broken is it possible to repair it or will I need to buy a new one?

Thanks for you help!
Many drivers and programs that install drivers simply install the files required to use the hardware, and they don't necessarily check to see if the hardware is installed or turned on. This may be why the install completed.
Additionally, the PCI card may simply be partially damaged, but otherwise (at least to the computer) be functioning fine.
As mentioned above, you can usually go into a system tool or menu to find the card.
This is done in device manager for windows. If the card is listed, and there are no apparent errors, then the card may only be partially damaged and further troubleshooting may be required. If it does not show up, then I would urge you to attempt to reconnect the card and try again. (Regardless, some digging and more details will help)

max2967

Apr 16, 2015
Thx for replying.

The OS is windows 7.
Yes I openend the device manager, i uninstalled the driver and reinstalled them and there is no errors appearing. I guess the connection between the pci card and the motherboard is ok, but the connection between the pci and the camera somehow blew up.

Is there a way to find which part is damaged and repair it?