Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Problem with CRT TV brightness

nahuel0909

Feb 24, 2022
Hello

I have a Philco model PM2014 and it was an annoying issue.

The image brightness just goes up and down by itself. Sometimes it happens in 10 or 20 seconds intervals, sometimes it can be several minutes apart and some days it may not even happen.

It's pretty weird, it seems it only happens in AV mode and not while using cable because I took it to a repair shop and they didn't find enything weird (I'm assuming they tried it with cable mode).

Happens with my PS2 and also when I connect my PC to it using a VGA to component cable adapter.

I tried opening the back of the TV and move some cables a bit to see if some of them will trigger this effect (I was very careful, using gloves and such) but no luck.

The manual for the Philco PM2024 is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RKE5JhlxTxC4LuS8xzwvWkuSEx_8H31E/view?usp=sharing which is a very simmilar TV and the only manual I could find. The options in the service menu are pretty much the same btw.

I hope someone knows what's happening and thanks in advance.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Possibly (and probably) a heat related issue and dry joints in the soldering around the line output transformer and/or smoothing capacitors in the associated circuitry.

nahuel0909

Feb 24, 2022
Possibly (and probably) a heat related issue and dry joints in the soldering around the line output transformer and/or smoothing capacitors in the associated circuitry.
Thanks for answering. So a possible solution would be to re-do the soldering on the output transformer and replace the capacitors?
I don't know what could be causing the heat problem though