Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Problems with a Lamp Project and Dimmer Module/Switch.

JohnnyZenith

Oct 3, 2015
Hello and thanks for looking at my thread! If this is in the wrong section then sorry.

I am a total electrics and electronics newbie so forgive me first of all. I am at my wits end with a lamp project and am wondering if you can help me. My lamp is an industrial one consisting of brass and copper.

It is a standard bulb. I have tried other bulbs too. As far as I know they are not energy saving bulbs.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o00_s00

Here is the switch. Before you say, I know it's Chinese cheap stuff but nothing else as far as I know will fit in the 28mm Gate Valve (bored out). I also have tried 3 so far and none worked. The reviews say they are fine mostly in the UK so I am starting to think it's something else.

412w_Z6g3_RLL_SX425.jpg

I soldered the two wires (as seen on the module/switch in the amazon photo above). They have been soldered to the hot live (I think it's called) so it passes through the switch in order to be regulated. I even got it working once but never again. The live is obviously cut and passes through one wire, through the module, and back through the other wire. I don't know if there is any difference in the wires.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o04_s00

Here is the bulb, although I have been loathed to try it as I didn't want to blow it. I tried other ones first. I believe i've been using 60W bulbs.

My wiring seems to work as I tested it with the multi-meter. It works all the way to the bulb, but not when the switch is attached as I described before. If I remember (as I do not have the lamp here) There is a place for the live on the lamp head, the blue also, and the Earth. Live, Neutral and Earth? I am using a 3amp fuse (which has not blown).

As I said I got it all working once with the dimmer but then it stopped. If there is a way to embed a British Dimmer in the base but have the rotary control right at the top where the control is that would be great.

If I have missed anything let me know. I would be happy to provide more details and photos.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
This is a typical circuit for a dimmer, some components can vary but virtually the same principle, the on/off switch would go in the Live cond lead.
dimmer-switch.gif

If your load was less than 3amps then I don't really see where you went wrong, maybe have to open it and see if any components are blown?
M.

JohnnyZenith

Oct 3, 2015
Nobody knows where it's gone wrong and i've tried 3 switches so far. It is maddening. Maybe the switches are all defected. I suppose the hot live lead or the blue neutral live lead can be used, or so i'm told. So far I have only tried it on the brown hot live. I guess it shouldn't matter but still.

I guess components could have been blown yes. Thank you for the circuit diagram.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
As Minder has already stated, if your load wasn't too much!!
But they also have a minimum load too. I couldn't see that in the link provided.
Do you know the minimum load?

Martin

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
On a normal UK dimmer, the minimum loads are 30-40 watts. Sometimes 60 watts.
And as a note. It really doesn't matter which half of the the phase you choose. They are both positive.

Martin

JohnnyZenith

Oct 3, 2015
Thank you for that. I'm still looking into the bulbs to see if I can rectify it. I guess if the switches I have still don't work after I cycle through the bulbs then they all must not work in the UK. Strange seeing as I have asked other UK users and they were fine. Even stranger when you account for the fact two other people have checked my lamp and found no problems.

JohnnyZenith

Oct 3, 2015
On another note. Is it possible to remove a Dimmer Module's rectangular box in order to make it smaller to thread into a pipe? Either that or put the dimmer module in the base and have some sort of rotary switch at the top of the lamp? If there is a way I can use better quality modules/electronics basically but have it fit into a smaller space.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Thank you for that. I'm still looking into the bulbs to see if I can rectify it. I guess if the switches I have still don't work after I cycle through the bulbs then they all must not work in the UK. Strange seeing as I have asked other UK users and they were fine. Even stranger when you account for the fact two other people have checked my lamp and found no problems.

you still haven't answered the Q ... what is your globe load ? what wattage is written on it ?

Dave

JohnnyZenith

Oct 3, 2015
My Edison bulb is 40W, 240V. I've also tried 60W. I guess you're asking about my dimmer switch min and max load. Sorry.

When I get back home this week I'll check.

Old Steve

Jul 23, 2015
The 240VAC 50Hz dimmer that I use for my 30W el-cheapo soldering iron is 1000VA max load and 25VA min load. (I just checked the label)
You should be able to get much the same in the UK. It would do the job nicely for even the 40W bulb.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
The link at Amazon says 1 to 3 amps.....I'd take that as 1 amp minimum

Old Steve

Jul 23, 2015
The link at Amazon says 1 to 3 amps.....I'd take that as 1 amp minimum
I wouldn't - that's an extremely high minimum - 240W. How often do you see 240W to 720W bulbs? (That's at 240VAC)
I think it really means a maximum of 1A to 3A.
(You can't really expect too much accuracy in an Amazon listing. The seller probably knows nothing about electricity, except how to plug things into it.)
Edit: That Amazon thing is a piece of rubbish and possibly dangerous. I'd buy a decent dimmer, personally. He doesn't want it to burn his house down, just so it can be fit into the space that he'd prefer.

Last edited: