You do not need to learn the entire datasheet, but just familiarize yourself with the basics and how the relevant registers tie in with each other. I would learn about the relevant registers first and which commands to use to set each register. I've listed the relevant ones below.
The Synchronous Serial Port (SSP) module has five registers for I2C operation. They are:
• SSP Control Register (SSPCON)
• SSP Status Register (SSPSTAT)
• Serial Receive/Transmit Buffer (SSPBUF)
• SSP Shift Register (SSPSR) - Not directly accessible
• SSP Address Register (SSPADD)
Also, familiarize yourself with the SDA and SCL pins and how to set up the ports.
Sorry its around page 237.