Maker Pro
Maker Pro

programmable timed switch

Qwyzmo

Apr 10, 2016
Hello, I am fairly new to electronics. I am researching how to buy or build a component that functions as shown in the attached diagram: I need a component that can be programmed (or reconfigured ) to switch which of the 10 outputs are connected to the positive terminal and which to the negative ( or ground ) every few milliseconds according to one of many specific patterns. The pattern must loop. It doesnt have to be exactly 10 outputs, and the switching pattern shown in the diagram is just an example.

I have been googling to find something that functions like this, but with no luck. Any help on what to search for or what this component is properly called would be much appreciated.

thanks.

Attachments

• pts.JPG
    pts.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 63

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
For 10 outputs, one approach is a CD4017 driving 10 PNP and 10 NPN switches, with a bunch of steering diodes assigning the switches to the proper outputs for the pattern. Basic stuff, not much to go wrong, but changing the pattern means significant rewiring. What voltage and what current?

Or, if you are hanging upside down from the bottom of the earth, Colin's response makes sense.

ak

Qwyzmo

Apr 10, 2016
For 10 outputs, one approach is a CD4017 driving 10 PNP and 10 NPN switches, with a bunch of steering diodes assigning the switches to the proper outputs for the pattern. Basic stuff, not much to go wrong, but changing the pattern means significant rewiring. What voltage and what current?

Or, if you are hanging upside down from the bottom of the earth, Colin's response makes sense.

ak

thanks so much for your reply, this is very helpful.

The voltage would be up to 1000v ( that might sound crazy high, but this application requires high voltage ). The current would be up to 5amp.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
WHOA! You want to make a series of 5000 watt, 10 millisecond pulses, and you didn't mention that up front? Talk about burying the lead...

ak