Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Programming 256k Nonvolatile SRAM

computerdummy

May 23, 2012
Hello all,

I am looking to replace several Dallas DS1230Y - 150 256k Nonvolatile SRAM devices.

Am I right in saying they require programming in order to just swap like for like?

If this is the case how can I extract the data from a known good one and transfer it to a new unit?

Hope somebody out there can help!

Thanks

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If you're swapping like with like then there will be no need to change hardware.

However, it all depends on what is stored inside the device.

If the device allows user setup from scratch, you may be OK. However it is not beyond the realms of possibility that there are some factory calibration settings stored on the device that you won't be able to replicate.

It is less likely with non volatile ram than it is for (say) an eeprom that you'll need a special factory setup.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
A simple NVRAM doesn't neeed programming.
You just read and write as with a normal SRAM. The only difference is the backup mechanism (battery, EEPROM, FRAM whatever) that keeps the data alive after power off.
So copying data from one NVRAM to another is as straightforward as reading from one device and writing this data to the same location in the other device.

A programmer can be helpful for this. Sometimes devices using battery buffered NVRAMs offer a tool to read the data and transfer it to a new NVRAM since the battery's lifetime is limited and changing NVRAMS is a standard procedure.

Harald