Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Programming A Winbond Chip

loady

Aug 16, 2017
Hi,
I have a Linux receiver that wouldn't flash properly, possibly due to a dodgy bootloader and thought I would try to replace the winbond chip, I have a GQ-4x programmer that I used to use for programming TSOP and luckily had an adaptor for it to fit the winbond.I have identified a replacement chip as 25Q32FVSIG. I found knocking around some old SPANSION S25FL016A chips that were very similar except for slightly different naming conventions to some of the pins, I programmed it with my bootloader after erasing chip and put it back on the PCB, the bootloader would become corrupted so I gave up with that and got the correct part which on ebay was W25Q32. I also tried to reprogram the original chip, firstly erasing it, then writing my bootloader to it, once the chip was back in the box I was in a semi up and running state but was still misbehaving. I know have the correct chip and it is a new chip, however, when I put it in my programmer I done a blank check on it and it failed as if to say it wasn't blank, I have now read the image and saved it. What I am unsure of is, am I supposed to erase the chip before I put my booloader on or do I write straight on top of it ?, I'm thinking that when I erased the original chip I erased something from it that is not supposed to be deleted, like a header or something for it. Som e solid advice would be greatly appreciated, until than I am going to attempt to write directly to the chip without erasing and put it in and see, if that doesn't work then I will erase it forst then write the bootloader and put in to pcb, in anycase, I have dumped the chip as soon as I received it and it certainly has something on it and I have it saved.
EDIT: can write to chip but will not verify, I don't think it will let me erase it, when I erase it it happens in a nano second and still reports as failed on blank check

loady

Aug 16, 2017
I am an amateur, I wouldn't know what to look for. Previously I have only needed to put a chip in my programmer, load up the correct bin file, erase then write, solder back in and it worked again, this was with tsop chips though. I can reprogram the original chip easily with bin file and out it back in but the box isn't letting me write image file to it hence I bought a replacement chip hoping the winbond chip was dodgy.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Without knowing (and/or using) your programmer it is not possible to determine if you have set any internal register requirements correctly.

You should read the data sheet and compare it to your programmer and its facilities.

loady

Aug 16, 2017
Hmmm. That's sounds like its not a matter of just popping it in programmer and writing my bootloader to it ? Which I have only needed to do with other projects.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Presumably a multi-function programmer? There will likely be many 'tick boxes' for the chosen device being programmed? Is there anything obvious in the notation beside them? - such as 'overwrite boot sector' or 'disable write protect' etc?

You need to know a lot more about both the programmer and the device being programmed.