Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PROMAX AE-566

sv1dkk

May 2, 2023
Hi to all, I was wondering if anyone has a service manual or at least a schematic for the PROMAX AE-566 spectrum analyzer. It needs to be repaired since the trace has shrinked into a 5mm line and the frequency display doesn't tune more than about 400Mhz, while all the other functions seem to work just fine. The truth is that I haven't used it for quite sometime now and doesn't look like the capacitors have leaked after testing them, therefore, any assistance on the matter that could help me restore my s/a would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
@Promax22
What have you got available?.
The thread starters text is in English, why respond in Italian?

Martin

sv1dkk

May 2, 2023
io li avrei disponibili
Sorry for delay in answering. From what I understand you have the service manual/schematic of the Promax AE-566 spectrum analyzer . If so, how could I get a copy? If it isn't too much of a trouble please reply in english. Thanks in advance. George

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
@Promax22 posted their response some 5 months ago, made ONE contribution to the forum (that post) and hasn't been back since. The chances of a response from them is close to zero.

sv1dkk

May 2, 2023
@Promax22 posted their response some 5 months ago, made ONE contribution to the forum (that post) and hasn't been back since. The chances of a response from them is close to zero.
I see.....but you know what they're saying.....hope springs eternal !!!

sv1dkk

May 2, 2023
Sorry for delay in answering. From what I understand you have the service manual/schematic of the Promax. If so, how could I get a copy? My email is <SNIP>. If it isn't too much of a trouble please reply in english. Thanks in advance. George

Moderetors note : removed open email
Promax22: Thank you ever so much for the service manual of the AE-566 spectrum analyzer. I'm sure this will be a great assistance for repairing mine. !!!

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Promax22: Thank you ever so much for the service manual of the AE-566 spectrum analyzer. I'm sure this will be a great assistance for repairing mine. !!!
You could do many other people a favour by posting a pdf copy on this site - it also gives the site some 'advertising' when people search for this manual as Google will flash up this thread as a result.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
You could do many other people a favour by posting a pdf copy on this site - it also gives the site some 'advertising' when people search for this manual as Google will flash up this thread as a result.
My sentiments exactly.

Martin

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Scrape?
The original text will stay in place but google will use it. I have no problem with that.

Martin
If you did have a problem with that; then that would make you a troublemaker; cuz there's nothing you can do about it. But I agree with your point of view I will continue to chisel my knowledge upon the stone of prosperity.
A PDF copy of promax AE-566 would be wonderful.

sv1dkk

May 2, 2023
PROMAX AE-566 Spectrum Analyzer Service & Calibration Manual (Credits to Promax22)

Attachments

• AE-566servicemanual.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 5

sv1dkk

May 2, 2023
Now if anyone could figure out the resistances of Test Points 10 - 11 - 13 and 17 it would've been a great assistance in figuring out the schematic of the power supply checking tool as appears in page 6.
Specifically, the resistance of
a) TP 10 - Value of 3x3R (3W) of the J11 connector (pin 8)
b) TP 11 - Value of 2x27R (1/2W) of the J13 connector (pin 1)
wondering whether the total resistor's value depends on connecting the resistors in series or in parallel mode. ie, in case a) the true and total value of the resistor could either be 9 Ω (3W) or 1 Ω (9W) while in case b) the resistor's total and true value would be either 54
Ω(1/2W) or 13.5 Ω (1W). Same thing applies to the TP 13's resistor which it marks a 2x91 R (2W).
c) TP 17 - in the schematic of the power supply's tool in pin 3 of the J12 connector, the printing of the corresponding resistor cannot be
determined, because it reads something like 14x3R9 (1W) which could mean a total resistance of 54.6 Ω (1W) or less than 0.3 Ω (14W).

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Wattage 'adds up' regardless of series or parallel wiring.

That test board needs to be made up (or purchased) accordingly and will load up the relevant PSU outputs at which point you will measure the fixed DC values (or waveforms) according to the tests they specify. The resistance totals won't necessarily be connected in series/parallel (so you can't just replace them with 'one' resistor) therefore you have to make the board using the values and wattages specified.

It's not clear whether the wattages shown are 'per resistor' or the total for the series required. I suspect they are the individual values as the single value resistors are shown as the wattage required. Either way, using higher wattage resistors won't do any damage but using lower ones might....

Last edited:

sv1dkk

May 2, 2023
Wattage 'adds up' regardless of series or parallel wiring.

That test board needs to be made up (or purchased) accordingly and will load up the relevant PSU outputs at which point you will measure the fixed DC values (or waveforms) according to the tests they specify. The resistance totals won't necessarily be connected in series/parallel (so you can't just replace them with 'one' resistor) therefore you have to make the board using the values and wattages specified.

It's not clear whether the wattages shown are 'per resistor' or the total for the series required. I suspect they are the individual values as the single value resistors are shown as the wattage required. Either way, using higher wattage resistors won't do any damage but using lower ones might....
a) TP 10 - Value of 3x3R (3W) of the J11 connector (pin 8)
b) TP 11 - Value of 2x27R (1/2W) of the J13 connector (pin 1)
wondering whether the total resistor's value depends on connecting the resistors in series or in parallel mode. ie, in case a) the true and total value of the resistor could either be 9 Ω (3W) or 1 Ω (9W) while in case b) the resistor's total and true value would be either
54Ω(1/2W) or 13.5 Ω (1W). Same thing applies to the TP 13's resistor which it marks a 2x91 R (2W).
c) TP 17 - in the schematic of the power supply's tool in pin 3 of the J12 connector, the printing of the corresponding resistor cannot be
determined, because it reads something like 14x3R9 (1W) which could mean a total resistance of 54.6 Ω (1W) or less than 0.3 Ω 14W).

kellys_eye:
Thank you for your reply. At first let me state that I carry at least 45 years in electronics. Indeed it is not clear as to the resistors's values and not as much as for their total wattage values. Meanwhile, the question remains as to the value of the specific TP's resistance values. For example, in the drawing there are resistor values of 900 R. There isn't around a standard value as such, but can easily can be made by two resistors in series. Therefore, and that's what has been puzzled me about, why haven't they stated the total resistance value at the said points instead of writting them down as ie. 2x3 R and not either 9 R or as 1R. Wattage is not the issue here, of course a higher value won't do any harm. I have already assembled a pcb for the tool and have soldered higher wattage resistors on it, but before I put it on the test I asked for a fresh opinion on the matter. Moreover, the puzzling point rests on the resistance value in connector J12 (TP17) where due to blurry printing of the circuit. Is it 14x3R9 as I tend to read or some other value that someone else could read its value better than my eyes can see.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I read the schematic values as being the totals. I doubt EXACT values are required given the tolerance of the VOLTAGE readings would likely be acceptable if you take 5% for the lower voltages and 10% as the higher voltages as figures to use. The tolerance measurement ranges given/suggested is rather wide imho. For 900 ohms I'd use 2 x 1k8 in parallel.

e.g. they mention a 5V supply and we typically accept anything from 4.8 to 5.2V as being 'ok'. No one looks for 'exactly' 5V (except a pedant of course!). They state 4.75 to 5.25 on their chart so it fits with my own understanding/acceptance of such tests.

14 x 3R9 (3.9 ohm) - total 54.6 ohms which, when taking TP17 as being a nominal 24V supply line, would mean that line being loaded to 400-odd mA which seems reasonable as opposed to a load of 86A (!) which is what you'd get with those resistors in parallel.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
because it reads something like 14x3R9 (1W) which could mean a total resistance of 54.6 Ω (1W) or less than 0.3 Ω 14W).
This is where you confuse me. The wattage will always ADD regardless of whether the resistors are in series or parallel so it's a 14W resistor no matter how they are connected. Given the correct resistance (wired in series) is 54 ohms and the load is 400mA on a 24V line then that wattage (0.4 x 24 = 9.6 watts) makes their suggested total wattage of 14W seems perfectly in keeping especially if you're loading those lines for any appreciable time whilst doing all the tests.

sv1dkk

May 2, 2023
This is where you confuse me. The wattage will always ADD regardless of whether the resistors are in series or parallel so it's a 14W resistor no matter how they are connected. Given the correct resistance (wired in series) is 54 ohms and the load is 400mA on a 24V line then that wattage (0.4 x 24 = 9.6 watts) makes their suggested total wattage of 14W seems perfectly in keeping especially if you're loading those lines for any appreciable time whilst doing all the tests.
Sorry for the mistake on the wattage value that I have posted in my previous. I just noticed that all I did was to transfer the value from the schematic. My bad, sorry.
As to the resistance value of TP 17, I already had soldered a 54.4Ω/21W (47Ω+2.7Ω+4.7Ω) resistor on the board. It's like I said, needed a fresh opinion on the matter just in case.(nobody's perfect). I have made the resistance combinations (where needed) just to be close as possible to what the requirements are.
Our current calculations match, so I guess I'll just give it a go and see what happens.
Thanks again for your replies. Be good and when I put it to the test it I'll let the forum know the results.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Be good and when I put it to the test it I'll let the forum know the results.
Nothing wrong with getting a second opinion. At my age it's almost a mandatory requirement as the mind ages. We always appreciate follow-ups and your results, good or bad, may help others somewhere down the line.