Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Propeller audio interface for audio quality?

DickFreed

Aug 6, 2021
I was digging around through my junk today and saw my old audio interface. Ive been listening to old concerts in youtube lately through my sony headphones https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AJIF4...imm_ZJ66DH6HWV15H96ZMZCD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Directly connected to the headphone jack of my laptop. If I connect the audio interface directly to my laptop via usb, i can use the headphone jack of the audio interface with my headphones. I’m presuming the interface contains a headphone amp. So would this theoretically improve the audio from my laptop. I can definitely tell a difference as in the interface sounds “warmer” but Im not experienced enough with high-end stuff to know if this is an improvement or not.

crutschow

May 7, 2021
I can definitely tell a difference as in the interface sounds “warmer” but Im not experienced enough with high-end stuff to know if this is an improvement or not.
To me "warmer" means it doesn't have as much high frequency response, so would be lower fidelity.
Some like the sound of vinyl records and tube amps saying they sound "warmer", but to me, that's just due to a reduction in fidelity.

But it's whatever sounds better to you that's the best criteria to judge the fidelity.

So what's a "propeller audio interface"?

DickFreed

Aug 6, 2021
So what's a "propeller audio interface"?
It’s called the Propellerhead Balance. It’s hardware that allows you to plug something like an electric guitar into your PC so that you can directly record into it and use things like virtual guitar amps. I hadn’t used it for that purpose for quite some time.

You seem to be right about the “warm” thing, in that more of the high frequencies stand out when i just plug my phones directly into the laptop jack. I’ma test it here in a minute. There is a youtube vid of the Police doing a live recording inside some big mansion somewhere in Britain I think. There are a lot of nuances in that recording that I notice don’t really let themselves be heard on my junkier headphones, the pc speakers themselves, etc.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
The Propellerhead Balance is an audio product with the detailed audio specs of size and weight.
Not a word about frequency response within +/-2dB or distortion or noise level. The "guitar" input does not say the important input resistance.