Maker Pro
Maker Pro

protecting leads on a jack?

Madsalts

Sep 25, 2014
I have a barrel jack made by Switchcraft that I intend to mount through the enclosure of a project. Unfortunately, the enclosure will need to be opened for service regularly (it's just the nature of the project). On the inside, as things currently are, I'll have the soldered leads connected to the back of the jack exposed. I don't want this, as they could be bumped and damaged. I see a few solutions:

1. wrap the leads in tape and hope for the best
2. mount some sort of protection to the housing. I don't want to drill the housing, but something adhering with epoxy might work.
3. I could epoxy a piece of plastic tubing over the leads. This might be the best.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
If the jack has solder tabs, consider getting the mating crimped connector:
CNX-05.jpg

instead of soldering it. That way you have positive connection without risk of damage and the wiring can be further disassembled from the panel if necessary.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I have a barrel jack made by Switchcraft that I intend to mount through the enclosure of a project. Unfortunately, the enclosure will need to be opened for service regularly (it's just the nature of the project). On the inside, as things currently are, I'll have the soldered leads connected to the back of the jack exposed. I don't want this, as they could be bumped and damaged. I see a few solutions:

1. wrap the leads in tape and hope for the best
2. mount some sort of protection to the housing. I don't want to drill the housing, but something adhering with epoxy might work.
3. I could epoxy a piece of plastic tubing over the leads. This might be the best.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Any way you can show a picture or drawing of the layout?

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
Solder the leads somewhat backwards in the terminals so the leads can be dressed down along the body of the jack towards the panel, then encapsulate the solder joints and back of the jack in a piece of double wall shrink tube or a close-fitting vinyl cap.

You may find it useful to insulate the solder terminals with shrink tube individually before encapsulation to prevent shorting or provide additional support.