Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Proximity Sensor

kenny911

Oct 3, 2012
Hi all
i am new to electronics. i have built a petrol winch with line on it. I am trying to build a cut off switch using a proximity sensor. someone suggested to me to use a plc with it. I have an idea of using a length of wire inside the line to locate when the winch should be switched off.
I haven't got an idea on how this unit should be built.

So i am asking someone to help me or give me some ideas on how to build it or some plans

I an in the kent area

Thanks kenny.

mechtronics

Aug 7, 2011
Do u want the winch to cut off when it gets to the bottom from a height or what?! A bit more of a description may be handy.

kenny911

Oct 3, 2012
Do u want the winch to cut off when it gets to the bottom from a height or what?! A bit more of a description may be handy.

The winch is use for paragliding.When i release at the top of the line there will be around about 2000ft of line out I can keep my finger on the transmitter and the line will wind in the last 30m i would like the engine to cut out hopefully this explains a bit more of which i am trying to do

Thanks Kenny

wingnut

Aug 9, 2012
Hi Kenny

I am keen on paragliding (hence Wingnut) but have never done a winch launch. Have just come back from flying in a gyrocopter which is so much fun it should be illegal.

I am reading that having launched, you want your petrol winch to wind up the cord and stop automatically when it comes to the last 30' or so.

There are many ways to skin a cat, and these suggestions most likely are not the best. I would be tempted to put a physical object on the line such as a tennis ball with two holes punched in it through which the cable runs. This ball hits a loop attached to a string which pulls off the switch (like one of those on-off pull lamp switches).

Or you have a thickening in the cable which pushes apart two rollers, and this activates the off switch. This way the swaying of the cable cannot push on both rollers at once.

I would be less inclined to an electronic system, such as painting the last 30' of the cable with white reflective paint or stripes, which an infrared or light sensor could detect.

Or a magnet on the cable with a Hall sensor.

I think that your case calls for just a physical object on the line hitting the off switch.

Aniket Kumar Singh

May 8, 2019
Hi all
i am new to electronics. i have built a petrol winch with line on it. I am trying to build a cut off switch using a proximity sensor. someone suggested to me to use a plc with it. I have an idea of using a length of wire inside the line to locate when the winch should be switched off.
I haven't got an idea on how this unit should be built.

So i am asking someone to help me or give me some ideas on how to build it or some plans

I an in the kent area

Thanks kenny.

If you want you can try the circuit , it does not uses an kind of programming or PLC. Its a very simple proximity sensor circuit with latch
control. It is basic analog electronics however it employs the use of CD4017 decade counter for latching the proximity sense signal.
Proximity Sensor Circuit with signal Latch Ability

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Line with a collar through a pivoted lever with a microswitch at centre of travel to allow for overrun.

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
Keep it simple. You could use a micro switch on the winch and ring on the line to operate it. You may find that you need a brake on the winch to limit the over run once the engine is turned off as the flywheel will keep it turning for a few seconds.