Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Proximity Sensor

forfeitt

Oct 22, 2020
Hello,

I would like to do that when I open any of 3 garage doors in the garage the light turns on so will use a relay and the below switch/sensor. So will place at each door one sensor that when the door opens it turns on the light. My only concern is, if the below sensor is working in a complete darkness?
thanks!

https://bit.ly/2TephbF

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
It should work in the dark as it has its own built-in infrared LED.
Personally I hate buying from a source that doesn't provide a datasheet so you know how to apply the part.

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
If your purpose is to turn on the light when the door is opened, then why wouldn't you just use magnetic switches on the doors? It may not be a problem for you, but if you use "proximity sensors" (which these really aren't) or photoelectric eyes (Active IR) or other "motion-type" sensors (e.g. PIR), it opens the possibility of activation by things other than one of the doors opening. For instance, the sensors in your link can be tripped by moths (and a couple of dozen other small critters partial to garage environments).

You may have a very clean and relatively critter-free garage, but garages in general are prone to "false positives" for area movement detection. Just a heads-up.