Maker Pro
Maker Pro

PS1 Namco Guncon (light gun) project

spencer2004

May 1, 2013
Hi. I would like to play some games on my old PS1 using a light gun, unfortunately all of the light guns, or at least the popular ones, rely on cathode ray timing and require an old CRT TV to work. I would like to make a light gun that uses infrared tracking (or perhaps another method) so that it can be used with any display. I would appreciate some advice on whether this project is plausible for a hobbyist to do and if so how to do it.

I think I have figured out how the Namco Guncon communicates with the PS1 but I don't really know how I am going to implement the IR tracking system. I was thinking about having an IR photodiode placed at each corner of the screen and an IR LED in the gun, the strength of the IR signal that each photodiode is receiving could then be used to calculate the coordinates of where the gun is being pointed but I have no idea on how this could be calculated, could anyone shed some light on this or is there a better way to do it?

I think the horizontal coordinates range from 0 to 385 and the vertical ranges from 0 to 263. The gun needs to be as accurate as possible for obvious reasons.