Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ps4 dualshock 4 controller thumbstick goes from analog to "digital" signal

Erikd318

Jul 26, 2022
Hello all! I have been fixing controllers for some time now and most of the time when I replace a thumbstick and go to check if it works properly on the controller tester website it shows instantaneous movements when moving the thumbstuck. Where before it would be a gradual increase like a normal analog would read, it now shows an immediate (100%) movement in the direction the stick is moving. Any idea what this might be, or how to fix it? Thank you for any reply!
For some background I have been soldering for years now and use all the necessary equipment which include, but not limited to, soldering iron, flux, 99% isopropyl alchohol, tinner, and solder wick.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Are you sure the website is not playing up?.
Does the controller work properly on the console?.

Martin

Erikd318

Jul 26, 2022
Are you sure the website is not playing up?.
Does the controller work properly on the console?.

Martin
Yep, I was suspicious of this but after testing it in some games it feels like the input instantly goes to 100%, think a "slippery" feeling instead of controlled.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Have you tried another ‘thumbstick’ to rule out a faulty one?.
“Slippery” as in drifting is normally the thumbstick.
Have you done all the calibration modes?

Martin

Erikd318

Jul 26, 2022
Have you tried another ‘thumbstick’ to rule out a faulty one?.
“Slippery” as in drifting is normally the thumbstick.
Have you done all the calibration modes?

Martin
I've tried using another thumbstick and even potentiometer combinations with the "best" of results having the thumbstick zeroed off center. What are the calibration modes? This is the first I hear about this I think.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Actually, I think calibration is on the PS5.
PS4 is a reset button on the back of the controller. Have you tried the reset button? Hold it for 3-5 secs then connect it via USB to console.

Martin

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Does the web-site now have the option to select analog or digital controllers? Sounds like it might be assuming a digital controller is being tested.

Erikd318

Jul 26, 2022
Actually, I think calibration is on the PS5.
PS4 is a reset button on the back of the controller. Have you tried the reset button? Hold it for 3-5 secs then connect it via USB to console.

Martin
Dang, but yea I have tried that and the issue persist.

Erikd318

Jul 26, 2022
Does the web-site now have the option to select analog or digital controllers? Sounds like it might be assuming a digital controller is being tested.
It doesn't sadly, I wish it were the case. The website can distinguish between dualshock and xbox controllers so I assume that means it has some level of accuracy to it. I can confirm it isn't the website as I have tested it with much success in the past. Also the controllers that have failed behave almost like you're constantly on a high sensitivity.

Erikd318

Jul 26, 2022
You could try this option .

Martin
I saw it's a calibration process for another product but I went ahead and tried it anyways just to see and it didn't work. I really do appreciate it though. I heard when controllers are manufactured they use a software only available to manufacturers to Calibrate thumbsticks, I don't know if this is true but if it is, it sure is a kick to the balls.

Erikd318

Jul 26, 2022
Maybe it has to do with the voltage readings somewhere? Since the issue has been isolated to the controller and more specifically the potentiometer, the fact that it is reading and broadcasting a signal beyond the bounds of the thumbstick indicate it could be an issue with an SMD on the board? Just spitballing ideas here, and please correct me if I'm wrong. That or there's a film over the contact patch I was never aware of.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
If you changed a potentiometer, double check your soldering for a bridge across two contacts. Also for a loose solder pad.
Moving the stick and going from 0% to 100% may indicate a short like a switch rather than a pot?. If you have a multimeter, you could check voltages on a working controller and compare the two.

Martin

Erikd318

Jul 26, 2022
Hello everyone! apologies for the hold-up. I did some testing and turns out the pots on the controller had less resistance than the other ones. I used a remote I knew worked perfectly and a random board I had lying around. I think this would explain why the controller experiences a "slippery feeling" I will try to replace or clean the pots to see what happens. I am still not sure if this same phenomenon occurs with my other controllers but I think this is a step in the right direction.