Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Psu amperage output at 12v

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I have attached a video explaining my problem, as it is easier for me.

sorry, but I am not going to sign up to something just to watch a video

find a non-sign up site to present it eg youtube

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Master Ben King . . . . .

NOTE: I can have used a multi-meter but I cannot afford a 50 dollar one that accepts high amperage inputs.

The next step up would be a meter that commonly accepts 10 amps . . . but that is STILL being inadequate.
Sooooooooooo what you want is a do it yourself creation of a high current series resistor . . . being called a current shunt in this case.
Build up the circuit below using those ~ values of resistance or multiple paralleled resistors to get that / those values.

Ideally you would want a combined total 10 watt resistor but just take your reading as quickly as a reading can display itself and disconnect. . .only then, you would be able to use a combined lower wattage value . . .say 1 thru 3 W.

If you successfully do that , that will prove to us that you know how to take current readings and , more importantly, how to get an ATA power supply to even come on.

THEN we can make a do it yourself meter shunt to replace that initial test resistor . . . which is to be used for calibration, later on.

We will be needing about 10 ft or so of that CAT-5 wire that you have strung all around the bench
to then wind yourself a 0.1 ohm ammeter shunt.

The end result will be your having the capability of reading 20 amps or more, as it is being displayed on the low DC voltage scale of your cheeeeeep DVM.

Thassssit . . . . . .

Reference . . . . .
20_Amp_Ammeter_Shunt.png

73's de Edd

Last edited by a moderator:

Ben King

Apr 4, 2017
If you successfully do that , that will prove to us that you know how to take current readings and , more importantly, how to get an ATA power supply to even come on.
I have turned the psu on before with the green (i think) and black wire :D
I have a cheap 5$ multi-meter that apparently takes 10ADC at 10 seconds, tried that and melted the wire cause it was too thin o_O:(:D

We will be needing about 10 ft or so of that CAT-5 wire that you have strung all around the bench

that is not actually cat5 wire, but I do think I have some lying around :)

I also don't understand your instructions for make a diy current reader :)

here is the video:

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Your video is the same one as before.

What is there not to understand about the . . . .RED/BLUE photo . . . you just get a 15 or 25 ohm power resistor and put your DVM in the 1 ampere DC current range and meter at the shown test points and power up only long enough to get a meter reading, then you power down and confirm if the current reading agrees with the estimated value. Put the resistor aside .
Then its on to wind a 0.1 ohm neter shunt with that . . . what looks to be 24-25-26 gauge . . . loose wire on the bench.