Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Pulling action

paul nash

Jan 12, 2018
Hi all,
I'm looking for some expert 'point me in the right direction' help. Basically I need to replicate a human pulling action on 8-12v (imagine opening and closing a drawer) but a relatively short stroke maybe 25-30mm. I've tried an 8v actuator with a 30mm stroke but its 'boom' in and 'boom' out. I've seen a relay with might slow it down but I'm thinking something else might be more suitable (just not sure what the 'something else' might be). Also it needs to go in and out twice. Back in the day I would have gone to my local target, I've tried Maplins and phoned every shop I can find but they don't employ people that know the products anymore. I'm not expecting an exact answer, hopefully just an idea as to what sort of components might be suitable, I'm used to lots of trial and error. Thanks in advance, Paul.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
You should look for linear actuators
Depending on the force required a model servo may serve as well. You can buy linear servos or use a standard model servo with rotating motion which needs to be converted to a translatory motion by one of several methods, e.g.
or use a screw and nut (have a look at 3d printer's z-axis control...)

paul nash

Jan 12, 2018
Hi,
Thanks ever so much for taking the time to reply to me, I'll have a look this evening.

Thanks again.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
A simple wind screen wiper motor. Fit a pin to the drive wheel at varying distances from the axis, the pin connecting to a rod to do the pulling.

paul nash

Jan 12, 2018
A simple wind screen wiper motor. Fit a pin to the drive wheel at varying distances from the axis, the pin connecting to a rod to do the pulling.

Thanks, yes that's the first thing I thought of, they're not cheap, bit big and quite loud (I bought one from a scrapper and tried it) I thought about getting used ones but I need about 20 so need a bit of a production line and if each one is mounted slightly differently it'll take ages.

I've found a local 3D printers who can make the plastic linear bit (as per the youtube vid) I just need to work out how to make it go in and out twice per push of the bell.
Thanks again.