Maker Pro
Maker Pro

pulse 2kV on 12V battery??

Status
Not open for further replies.

corvus_four

Dec 16, 2014
I've got one for you folks, which I can't seem to find any info on.

what is the effect of high voltage AC (say 2kv), low current, on a 12 volt lead acid battery? Danger of the spark igniting the hydrogen aside, what would happen if my sealed lead acid batterys were to receive pulsed ac at 2+kv on their positive terminal?

just some context, I want to use the spark to close a 12 v. charging circuit at high frequency.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
We have had another member talking about this a short while ago.
I don't like it... You can't control voltage and current at the same time...
You can control one... and shut down or stop when the second value is met or exceeded.
So the 2kV may produce a higher than expected current.

corvus_four

Dec 16, 2014
I have a nagging feeling as well, but being self taught i'm trying to find more info before testing it. What do you think would happen? (it must be an absurd idea, as there is no info on it!).

my multi battery charger design is simply a flywheel that carries +12 v. Rather than have physical connections to the batteries (which slows the wheel down), I can keep it spinning freely by using a HV spark to make the 12v connection. now you guys get to tell my why this is a bad idea!

p.s. could you point me to that thread you speak of, what did they decide?

corvus_four

Dec 16, 2014
maybe you can help me in another way - what is the standard way of charging a whole series of 12v batteries? thats why I chose the flywheel: one conductive strip on the wheel, and 10 contacts for it to clip as it turns. Each contact hits a +12v lead on a battery, which all share a -12v ground. Simple and effective, except i don' t like the noise/drag on the wheel - which is why using a spark as a carrier occurred to me - it would be quiet and frictionless. I don't care about desulphation one way or the other - i just want to know that the batteries aren't going to blow up ; )) or otherwise degrade.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
maybe you can help me in another way - what is the standard way of charging a whole series of 12v batteries? thats why I chose the flywheel: one conductive strip on the wheel, and 10 contacts for it to clip as it turns. Each contact hits a +12v lead on a battery, which all share a -12v ground. Simple and effective, except i don' t like the noise/drag on the wheel - which is why using a spark as a carrier occurred to me - it would be quiet and frictionless. I don't care about desulphation one way or the other - i just want to know that the batteries aren't going to blow up ; )) or otherwise degrade.
Are you wanting to charge multiple different 12V batteries at a time?
Or are you wanting to charge a collection of batteries belonging to a larger battery pack?
Simply connecting the batteries in Parallel will charge them, but you need to make sure that they are at the 'same' level when you connect them otherwise the higher voltage battery will back feed into the lower voltage battery. If the flow is high enough, you can cause damage.

More details about the current setup, and batteries would help...
(I had two dead batteries that I charged with a small motorcycle charger... took 30 hours, but it did it.. Considering both batteries were sitting at less than 7V I figured I didn't have much to loose. Other option was to leave it on one battery, and switch back and forth... which sounds like what your wheel is doing)

*You won't be able to arc voltage to the battery to charge them. The voltage required will be too high and very dangerous...

corvus_four

Dec 16, 2014
right... a whole bank of batteries at different voltages, so I don't want to hook em up in parallel. I know you can buy switching chargers, but i like the flywheel idea better - can hook up as many batteries as you want! They all share a negative terminal on the charger, and the positive terminal is the flywheel.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
right... a whole bank of batteries at different voltages, so I don't want to hook em up in parallel. I know you can buy switching chargers, but i like the flywheel idea better - can hook up as many batteries as you want! They all share a negative terminal on the charger, and the positive terminal is the flywheel.
I can see why you are attempting this then...
Perhaps a custom circuit would be thought up. Your flywheel would take a long time to charge multiple batteries I assume? A 4 or 5 output switching charger may do the trick if it works on one battery at a time. It should allow ample time to swap out charged batteries for dead ones as it works down the row of batteries. If not I think your fly wheel needs a little TLC and is your best bet. (Even though I'm certain it would greatly increase the time required to charge a single battery)

corvus_four

Dec 16, 2014
yeah... so point 1 - it may take a while, and i'm ok with that. Point 2 is, the whole system would be more efficient if i could find some way of making a frictionless contact, which is the source of the 2kv question... I just want to put a +2kv (from a little transformer/transistor circuit) charge on the flywheel, which will jump across to the battery terminals, carrying the 12 volts with it. ..and voila! But how do the 12v batteries feel about this arangment?? ;)

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
yeah... so point 1 - it may take a while, and i'm ok with that. Point 2 is, the whole system would be more efficient if i could find some way of making a frictionless contact, which is the source of the 2kv question... I just want to put a +2kv (from a little transformer/transistor circuit) charge on the flywheel, which will jump across to the battery terminals, carrying the 12 volts with it. ..and voila! But how do the 12v batteries feel about this arangment?? ;)
They won't like it... You can't carry low voltage DC within a high voltage arc as far as I know.
The battery terminal would get hit with the 2kV you plan to use...
The large part of the inefficiency is the the time your system will be connected to a battery vs the time it is not... each ap in between batteries will hurt the efficiency.
Additionally.. batteries are charged with a 'current' that is created by providing a varied voltage to the battery based on the batteries current charge... so even if the arc method carried 12V, it would not be an ideal charging solution even if it was safe. Please drop the arcing idea.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
This is really a bad idea
and for everyone's protection I will close the thread

regards
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.