Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Pulse width modulation

Electron point

Feb 20, 2012
Hi Folks

I am fairly new to this - as my question will show....

Is there a way to reduce from 12 volts to say 2 volts without wasting power and needing a big heat sink when drawing about 10 amps ?.

Does a pulse width modulator do that? I see some advertise that they don't need heat sinks.
I'd like to make a pulse with modulator that is adjustable so as the unit gets hotter the power required remains the stable (over a range of temperatures)

Thanks

Gerry

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
PWM, well, kinda.

It depends on what you're driving.

If it's a motor it will probably work, but for an electrical circuit you will need DC, in which case a switchmode regulator is required.

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
I'd like to make a pulse with modulator that is adjustable so as the unit gets hotter the power required remains the stable (over a range of temperatures)

Power and heat are very closely related. Doesn't seem to me that you can maintain the same power level and reduce heat. A watt is a watt.

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
My idea was to have a power transformer that have multi-tapped secondary with automatic selector switch to feed selected bridge rectifier then pass a voltage regulator. Voltage drop to series pass transistor therefore would be minimal. It's only an idea. But maybe it can be done. This is linear solution not pwm.

Last edited: