Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Pulse

RobertK

Mar 11, 2014
How do I double or tripple a switch pulse? There is an interlock, when I open and close a safety guard very quick like in miliseconds, this signal goes to an I/O board but does not activate an alarm because the pulse is too quick. How do I increase this signal/pulse? Any help, much appreciated!

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
This might work.
Adam

Attachments

• Capture11.PNG
    Capture11.PNG
    3.7 KB · Views: 163

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
How does the guard trigger the pulse - does it use a micro-switch? If so, would it be possible to move the switch so it activates earlier in the travel of the guard. Many times the micro-switch will have a flexible lever, and depending on how it is set, it might have some 'pre-load' in it that you can remove to cause it to trigger earlier.

Note. Hopefully by triggering earlier it will remain triggered for longer and so making the pulse longer.

RobertK

Mar 11, 2014
Switch.jpg

The switch looks like the picture attached. It's for an interlock. I can't move it physically. Is there a device out there that will give a longer delay on the pulse?

RobertK

Mar 11, 2014
switch1.jpg

This is what triggers, which is mounted on the guarding door.

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
Would a break before make version help? Same footprint, apparently.

At least that way, you are assured of a time gap.

John

RobertK

Mar 11, 2014
It needs to be that interlock switch ( above pic ). It works fine when it opens and close. It is for safety application. The only problem is that when there is vibration on this safety door ( which is rare ), it triggers in miliseconds and the I/O does not see this trigger. On the same note, this exact same trigger/pulse sends a signal to another input and creates an issue. So I need this trigger/pulse wider ( bigger duty cycle ) so that both inputs see an issue, not just one.

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
Sorry, I still apparently don't understand the problem, which I understood to be that when switched too fast, a break wasn't detected, and an alarm wasn't generated.

The devices I mentioned seem to have the same footprint, but a number like 243-0xx48 and 243-0xx18. If you insist on using exactly the same lock you currently have and cannot modify it, then I don't see any solution in the near future, unless of course, the actuator can be modified to give you the pulse you need. That is a mechanical problem, not electronic.

John

RobertK

Mar 11, 2014
There is an input that sees this milisecond pulse and another that doesn't see it. So I think would be easier to have a device in between that would ignore this pulse or noise if you will.

RobertK

Mar 11, 2014
I am working on a multimillion packaging machine, so I can't have this switch replaced, this is all new and I am not allowed to replace or move this safety switch. It works fine but as I mentioned before, when this safety door vibrates, it's enough to send a signal to my equipment I/O. I can see my LED's come on when it vibrates, this "false pulse" goes to two inputs on my equipment. There are certain specs in electronics as we are all aware, where input signals need x number of miliseconds before it activates. Well, one of my inputs receives this "false pulse" and shuts off one part of my equipment. This same "false input" goes to my other input and it does nothing because it's not long enough. So, there has to be a device out there that would either ignore this signal or increase it.
I've tried to google but no success. Btw, I am not a programmer, neither an engineer, so please be patient. Thanks.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
It's called a pulse stretcher, which is what I designed for you.

Adam

RobertK

Mar 11, 2014
Thanks for all the help boys but I figured this one out. All I need is an off delay relay timer, simple eh!